Tripath TA2020 + 6N3 Tube buffer - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2013, 02:48 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
That buffer needs AC so you need a transformer or an AC wallwart with enough current capability.

It may have a voltage doubler circuit on it and then yo got more then 12v present on the board.

So there may be a shock hazard even when feeding with low voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazbo8 View Post
May I ask what is the application for this hybrid amp? Is it for portable use? If so, the whole thing can be run off battery, or as it has been suggested, run off an AC-DC power supply, either way will work. Take a look at the links I provided, and you can see both scenarios.
Yes it is for a portable system..
So is it possible to power the buffer with a direct wiring between buffer and battery? As far as I know 12V truck batteries are DC, wouldn't it be necessary, as flatheadmurre mentioned, to use a inverter or DC-AC transformer? Or could it work by simply connecting battery directly to the PCB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazbo8 View Post
Of course, you don't have to use the cathode follower configuration, in which case, you can amplify the signal then attenuate the output, before the TA2020 so it is not over-driven.
Would this make sense in proportion to louder, smoother or just better sound quality?
Old 28th April 2013, 05:09 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Do you have a schematic for the buffer ?

It says 12v AC on it and that gives in ballpark of 16-17v DC if not voltage doubler is used then you got even higher dc voltage.

So battery power for the buffer is possible but you have to find out what voltage you really have in the circuit and perhaps stack a couple or more batteries for the right voltage.

A good buffer ads nothing to the sound and the output power is set by the power amp.

If you want to shape the sound with something like a equalizer you need more stuff adding more gain to get overdrive makes it an effectbox and not an amplifier.
Old 28th April 2013, 05:52 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I got this schematic off of another thread: View image: IMG 0002. Should be the same..

Specs:
input voltage:AC 12V

Frequency response : 10Hz - 40KHz + / -1dB

Total harmonic distortion THD: > 0.005%

Signal noise ratio S/N: 95dB

Gain: ≈0dB

Quote:
If you want to shape the sound with something like a equalizer you need more stuff adding more gain to get overdrive makes it an effectbox and not an amplifier.
No, it's not like i wanted to shape the sound or anything fancy - Just hoped that by using this buffer i could get more/better sound out of my speakers, to be honest. But that seem not to be the case?
Old 29th April 2013, 12:03 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashellbrandt View Post
I got this schematic off of another thread: View image: IMG 0002. Should be the same..

Specs:
input voltage:AC 12V

Frequency response : 10Hz - 40KHz + / -1dB

Total harmonic distortion THD: > 0.005%

Signal noise ratio S/N: 95dB

Gain: ≈0dB

No, it's not like i wanted to shape the sound or anything fancy - Just hoped that by using this buffer i could get more/better sound out of my speakers, to be honest. But that seem not to be the case?
Just as I thought, the buffer is configured as a cathode follower, in fact, the specs tell you that there should be no difference in sound whatsoever, given its low distortion and 0dB, i.e., no gain. So it will not make the sound "fuller" if that is what you are thinking of. As suggested, an EQ will have much more tonal shaping capability, or even diode clipping if you are after a more distorted sound. For other ideas, you can check out some solid-state amplifiers from Marshall, VOX, etc. which all use chip amps as the power output, with the tone shaping done in the preamp stages.

How do you plan to supply the voltages for the TA2020 and the buffer boards?
DC boat battery -> DC-AC Inverter -> AC-DC power supplies that came with the units? Doesn't seem too portable, no?

Jaz

Last edited by jazbo8; 29th April 2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 29th April 2013, 05:17 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

As i suspected you got voltage doublers in the circuit.

You need to convert the 12v DC battery power to 12v AC.
Old 29th April 2013, 09:47 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I guess you guys are right. I think i'll just drop the idea of the two of them together for this application.

But as i'm still wanting to get more and/or better sound out off of my system, having in mind that the battery usage can't be too high, what could i do in this case? - Should i get a more powerful amp, or could I use another preamp to give the sound a boost?

I really appreciate that you're taking your time helping me..
Old 29th April 2013, 09:56 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

What's the actual application for the amp?
Old 29th April 2013, 10:05 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

It is for a "portable" system, which is actually a steady setup for outdoor use.

1. The Amp6Basic runs 2 x 4 ohm PA speakers + 1 x 4 ohm sub.
2. The amp is powered by 1 x 12v 180 ah battery.
3. Jack-in on the PCB as sound source.

Hope this answered your question?
Old 29th April 2013, 10:54 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Im not really shure what kind of PA speakers you have but 2x25w for a 2.1 PA system is in my world underpowered.

Im not really shure how you manage to hook up a 3 speaker setup to the amp6 correctly.

Get another mono amp for the sub and a crossover then your set for summer party.

Find a nice kit for a poweramp to go with the buffer for indoor use.

And dont get dicouraged if we sometimes sound a little hesitating, we just want to be sure no one gets hurt in the progress.
Old 29th April 2013, 11:58 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Im not really shure what kind of PA speakers you have but 2x25w for a 2.1 PA system is in my world underpowered.
Yeah, follow you on that one. - Would it make sense using a Class D amp for the Speakers and the Amp6B for the sub, with a cross between them?

When it comes to crossovers I have (also) no experience why I'll prefer to buy an assembled one. But to be honest, I have no clue what i'm looking for. What do i have to be aware of? - passive crossover would work, right? What about slope, compatibility, Watt rating?

Quote:
And dont get dicouraged if we sometimes sound a little hesitating, we just want to be sure no one gets hurt in the progress.
.. I don't - only get more hooked on learning

Hide this!Advertise here!