MKP DC-LINK vs electrolytic power supply 4 tube amp - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2013, 07:38 PM   #31
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassandlight
I welcome ideas and suggestions that are constructive and have merit. If you comments and or ideas have such, then print them for others to review and consider as a solution. But throwing rocks does not seem correct for these forums.
As others have said, my comments have merit (in the sense that they are technically true, if unpalatable) and are constructive (in the sense that I am giving you good advice not to waste your money on 'upgrading' a poor circuit). Like most people on here, I attach little weight to magazine reviews as I have too often seen bad designs (often with weak performance) praised to the skies.

I despair at the high number of commercial amps with basic design errors. This is primarily a technical forum, so technical comments should not be a surprise.

I'm sorry for hurting your feelings. I'm out.
Old 28th April 2013, 08:13 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Thank you DF96. Thank you for being a gentleman. And, I am sorry for wearing my sensitivity on my shirt cuffs, I should not take such comments to heart. I do not think anyone here means to hurt anyone.

Sometimes I think reading something on a computer screen transulates differently than on paper.

None of us want to feel like we bought a pig-in-a polk. And, indeed, we have all seen some dumb designs or at least questionable ones based on what we know.

It was not that I did not welcome your ideas. The contrary is I do, so does everyone else. If this amp did not have a problem that I am not able to see, I would not be posting and seeking answers.

I would welcome you input and suggestions. Do you think the drivers and phase splitters as designed here are causing the grain/strain in only the pentode mode but not in the triode mode? How would you do it differently?
Old 28th April 2013, 08:53 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

My suggestion is look at building your self a new amp from a clean sheet of paper then compare it to the baron . With help of many here you can have a much better sounding amp and then sell off the baron rather than fix it. That is some of the fun found on this web site and hobby.
Old 29th April 2013, 02:01 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

MY GOD brilliant!!!!!!
as one fanitic DIY to another fanitic DIY...I feel blessed by you suggestion.

Thank you, tears come to my eyes!!!! Such a wise answer from the field, thank you seems so meaningless here. Thank you, thank you, thank you, I say....I shall light a candle next week for you...... thank you, thank you ,thank you!!!!!!! Bless you for your contribution!!!!

and, so....I post soon an answer from a pal who wrote to his pal (calling in chips...you know, asking a pal because you are not completly sure you are in the right field but don't want to ask to get something for nothing) who is one of the most repected amp designers in the world for tubes.....want to know who posted what and was hitting on the target??? Stay tuned !

One or two of you were kissing close !!!! but the target keeps getting in the way. The answer is so simple that it was in the conversation all the time !...did we see it and were the sailing ships from Spain sailing into the new world, who's people never saw a ship like that and simply said "it is not there, so I do not see it".

Is this a quest for answers not easy? Yes?

PS: to whom shall I sell an amp that has kissed my heart and soul?
Old 29th April 2013, 08:52 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

I don't understand the meaning of post #34, but in general I would say that if you respect the designer of the amp and like how it plays, for safety reasons recap the thing with plain elco's closest to the spec you've got there now, close it and start enjoying it again. Never put it back to 2/3 pentode mode: triodes are the best anyway, not even the best designer can make a pentode sound like a triode! And if 6 triode wired KT88's in PP don't make enough power, it is probably a mismatch with the speakers you are dealing with - hey, I am not saying the speakers are badly designed! just that some speakers need enormous power or very high damping factor to play their best. And ignore this list. If you think you haven't been treated well here, you can always write around how a bunch of amateurs the diyaudio members are, even daring to challenge the wisdom of respected designers - but I would just forget all this just as a you forget a nightmare- and move on enjoying the Baron!
My best regards, Erik
Old 29th April 2013, 01:31 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Greetings Erik,

what you have written is just about what the personal email from TP says. Who is TP? I was asked not to post his name, but he is one of the world's most respected names in tube audio and now lives on the West coast doing a little joint venture with another audio designer.

His email to me is very much what you have written....and ignore the list too, he says. "How can someone say the circuit is bad if they have never heard this amp?" "Who are these people?"

His answer is also along the thinking of TOMCHR, post #5..."What's the B+ voltage of this amp? 500 V? If that's the case, I suggest getting two 2200 uF caps rated for 350~400 V operation and connecting them in series. That should take up less space than the current configuration and would leave room for a good polypropylene cap to be connected in parallel with the electrolytic cap., except he recommends doubling the uf for the B+ and 220 minimum for the screens. He knows this amp and has heard it, and feels the supply is fine for triode and part pentode, but starved in full pentode and not enough regulation for the screens.

He also agreed that a small choke after the hexfreds is a reasonable idea to consider " it can't hurt if it is small and right voltage/amperage"...so GOATGUY had a good suggestion in post #25.

So the last thank you goes to JUANITOX in post #27, the only member who answered the original question...has anyone used DC Link caps.

Should any Baron owner stumble across this topic and thread, the answer has now been posted as to why the pentode mode has a grainy edge, at better than moderate volume anyway. Boost the uf in the power supply to raise the headroom, and enjoy one of the best sounding amps ever made.

That's it....I post no more to this topic.
Old 29th April 2013, 01:45 PM   #37
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
"How can someone say the circuit is bad if they have never heard this amp?" "Who are these people?"
1. By reading the circuit diagram; a skill that even some 'designers' seem not to have acquired. Like literacy, reading circuits is a necessary precursor to creating good circuits. Good circuits are necessary, although not sufficient, for faithful sound reproduction.
2. A retired physicist/engineer, with 45 years experience of DIY RF and audio electronics.

I wasn't going to re-post in this thread but I felt that your friend's questions deserved a reply.
Old 29th April 2013, 03:49 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassandlight View Post
MY GOD brilliant!!!!!!
as one fanitic DIY to another fanitic DIY...I feel blessed by you suggestion.

Thank you, tears come to my eyes!!!! Such a wise answer from the field, thank you seems so meaningless here. Thank you, thank you, thank you, I say....I shall light a candle next week for you...... thank you, thank you ,thank you!!!!!!! Bless you for your contribution!!!!

and, so....I post soon an answer from a pal who wrote to his pal (calling in chips...you know, asking a pal because you are not completly sure you are in the right field but don't want to ask to get something for nothing) who is one of the most repected amp designers in the world for tubes.....want to know who posted what and was hitting on the target??? Stay tuned !

One or two of you were kissing close !!!! but the target keeps getting in the way. The answer is so simple that it was in the conversation all the time !...did we see it and were the sailing ships from Spain sailing into the new world, who's people never saw a ship like that and simply said "it is not there, so I do not see it".

Is this a quest for answers not easy? Yes?

PS: to whom shall I sell an amp that has kissed my heart and soul?
Sarcasm is not your Forte . My I suggest what I say at Tractor Supply on a t-shirt " Stop your winning put on your big girl boots and get to it" As a side note a baron in on ebay right now for sale bid are at 600 dollars 2 day left hurry now. There are many fine books on power supply design dating back to radiotron handbook that should be read and understood before undertaking playing with high voltage it by the way can be lethal ( and not in a good way). Good luck with this have a good day.
Old 29th April 2013, 04:11 PM   #39
MelB is online now MelB  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you could get one of those Barons for $600.0 it would be a steal. A sextet of triode connected 6L6's per channel and big output transformer just by default has got to sound pretty good. I'm tempted caus' it's definately a well made amp and it would be much fun to play with that circuit.
Old 29th April 2013, 04:21 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

It will go for more however there is some good iron and a great chassis there.

Hide this!Advertise here!