• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Unison Research S6 (old version) auto or fixed bias?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I hope someone can shed some light on this. Here's the situation: my brother-in-law (who lives very far from me) has a Unison Research S6. The old version, with all the EL34 tubes in a single, curved row. As he already has this amp for a long time, and he never re-tubed it, I decided to send him a fresh set of matched output tubes as a present. So my question: is the amp auto biased, or does it need bias adjustment? The new version requires some bias adjustment which can be performed by the user using controls and a meter on the front. The old version has no such controls, which is why I think it is auto biased, but I am not sure.

I trust him with simply pulling out the old tubes and putting in the new ones, which is fine with auto-bias. But if it requires adjustment, I'm going to tell him to wait until I come along for proper bias adjustment.

Thanks for any info!

The amplifier will not be modified by me, the only thing I will do to it is set the bias if required. If the amp is auto biased, I can tell him to replace the tubes himself and enjoy the new sound as there is no adjustment to be made. Otherwise I need to tell him to wait with trying the new tubes until after I have had the opportunity to properly bias the amp with the new tubes.

The amplifier will not be modified by me, the only thing I will do to it is set the bias if required. If the amp is auto biased, I can tell him to replace the tubes himself and enjoy the new sound as there is no adjustment to be made. Otherwise I need to tell him to wait with trying the new tubes until after I have had the opportunity to properly bias the amp with the new tubes.

The change of 5-10 ma will give you change of quality of sound...

Does anybody have a copy of the schematic for this amp, or indeed the instruction manual. I have just a second amp.Generally pleased but would like to get to grips with the design, The RF remote doesn't work either. I suspect it may need pairing but not sure how to do this either

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.