Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2003, 01:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to koolscooby
Default Just a few questions

Hey everyone, i'm new to the forum, its great... i've been reading for a couple hours actually, and i love everything i see...
i'm interested in learning more about tubes and i thought a good starter project could be a tube amp

i have *alot* of tubes, my father picked them up off of an old tv repair shop that closed out... so i have probably 90-95% of the most common tubes out there (i'm takling a couple thousand tubes), i also have a few tube testers (which work fine)

Any suggestions for some schematics? I'm not quite sure what i'm going to be driving, but i have some speakers i found in the basement the other day i'm going to give a shot (they seam like they are nicely built, came out of a old record player that didnt work... speakers are fine tho)

Thanks in advance, love the forums!
Old 1st December 2003, 04:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Just a few questions

Quote:
Originally posted by koolscooby
i have *alot* of tubes, my father picked them up off of an old tv repair shop that closed out... so i have probably 90-95% of the most common tubes out there (i'm takling a couple thousand tubes), i also have a few tube testers (which work fine)
Lucky you.

Quote:
Any suggestions for some schematics? I'm not quite sure what i'm going to be driving, but i have some speakers i found in the basement the other day i'm going to give a shot (they seam like they are nicely built, came out of a old record player that didnt work... speakers are fine tho)
There are literally thousands of tube amp schematics out there. What would hekp to narrow down a design would be to know if you have any iron (power and/or output transformers) and if so, what types and values.

If you don't have any iron, then buy a couple of Hammond PT1650F and a suitable power trans from AES and build a Dyna clone.
Attached Images
File Type: gif dynaco st35.gif (42.5 KB, 161 views)
Old 1st December 2003, 04:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

i do not have any transformers suitable for this i dont think, i'm going to end up ordering some...
that dynaclone is nice but i'm thinking more like stereo
i've also decided i want something in like the 20-30 watt range, so i'm looking at 6L6 and others i think... i have a set of 6l6's i just pulled out of the box

any ideas for the updated specs?

Thanks
Old 1st December 2003, 10:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by koolscooby
i do not have any transformers suitable for this i dont think, i'm going to end up ordering some...
That makes it easier in some ways as you can buy what you need rather than trying to adapt something else.

Quote:
that dynaclone is nice but i'm thinking more like stereo
The drawing is only for one channel to keep the file size down. The ST35 is about 15W/ch.

Quote:
i've also decided i want something in like the 20-30 watt range, so i'm looking at 6L6 and others i think... i have a set of 6l6's i just pulled out of the box
How 'bout this for starters? Eico HF22.
I don't have a lot of 6L6 stuff saved, but I have dozens of EL34 ccts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eico hf22 6l6 ul pp.jpg (89.4 KB, 138 views)
Old 1st December 2003, 06:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Brett, thanks alot for that schematic, you say that is for one channel, does that mean that you have to replicate the powersupply as well? (I'm new to amps in general, so thats why i started with tubes).... I have all of the tubes required in that schematic, my question is though, what power input/output does the output transformer have to be?

Thanks alot!
Old 1st December 2003, 07:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Oh by the way brett, did you happen to take the resolution/size of that schematic down? i can barely read the parts list , if you could email me the full one, that'd be great (if there is a full one), my email is koolscooby@zoominternet.net

/me waits for the moderation to stop as it is getting very annoying lol

Thanks again,
Old 1st December 2003, 10:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Here's an alternative source:

EICO

Cheers,

Hide this!Advertise here!