• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Unholtz-Dickie amp, 4-1000's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have to agree about vacuum treatment if it can be done but I have been told about used the heat method as well.

It was received empty, and has been long enough for a 'rusty looking' spot to appear on the core. It's been in a humidity controlled space now to a couple months. I better take it to a transformer shop, tell them what it is, ask them to give it the works. They ought to have the Diala BX or equivalent.

So, in Dallas TX there ought to be at least one good transformer shop!

sorry, things have been so busy here it is still on my work bench.

What most people don't realize is the oil absorbs a ton of moisture too. Pull a vacuum on some oil in a clear vessel. It look like foamy beer, lol.

I've often seen the oil heated before it put in too. Heating and vacuum all do the same thing. But at different rates. The vacuum just works really fast.

If its been open for a long time then I'd take your sweet time before ever putting high voltage on it. The longer its sits with the oils on it the more it work in into the nooks and crannies.

what kind? oils like these should not, maybe if old
i presume you would not put olive oil to trafo :)

Any hydrocarbon will. That's why there is corrosion inhibitors in it. But the corrosion inhibitors are a double edge sword. They can cause other issues. But I don't recall specifically what problems they make. Ill have to look it up.

I believe the moisture content is proportional to atmospheric pressure. Since that's the only force acting on it when in storage. That's why you want to keep your drums sealed when not using the stuff.

Nick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.