Recommended RIAA Values for this Circuit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2013, 02:37 AM   #1
BRSHiFi is offline BRSHiFi  United States
Previously known as kingden

Default Recommended RIAA Values for this Circuit

Hi, I have a circuit I came up with that uses a grounded grid feedback configuration. I am simulating it in Tina. Attached are the circuits and simulation. What configuration/component values do you all recommend for such a system?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Preamp.zip (32.7 KB, 96 views)
Old 20th April 2013, 03:11 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Just out of curiosity, how did you come to this circuit? There's some features that seem... odd. Your cartridge will not be happy. The gain is likely to be extremely low and conformance to RIAA will be problematic.
Old 20th April 2013, 03:15 AM   #3

http://www.tubecad.com/2007/08/blog0116.htm

Best for MC carts as the input impedance of this unit is insanely low. The schematic is incomplete as I will be adding an input transformer for MC carts. I will post the MM version in a few.

Last edited by BRSHiFi; 20th April 2013 at 03:35 AM.
Old 20th April 2013, 03:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Interesting circuit... If the cartridge needs to be loaded anyways, why not use the cathode impedance to do it?

I particularly like JB's thought to use a transformer as the cathode resistor to ditch the huge coupling cap.

dave
Old 20th April 2013, 03:51 AM   #5

Thats the whole idea. Are there transformers that can match MM carts to the low impedance, or will I need to custom here?
Old 20th April 2013, 04:32 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Assuming you have enough gain / low enough noise to do MC direct (Tina will tell you that) i see no reason why you couldn't use a 500:50K mic transformer in reverse. It is sort of a fun idea using a MC stepup in reverse.

dave
Old 20th April 2013, 04:41 AM   #7

Will try that. MM's should be OK on the noise. MC direct will be too noisy unless a stepup transformer is used.

I like the idea of balanced phono stages but moist turntables use RCA and not XLR unless you modify them. That will void the warranty totally on my new unit.
Old 20th April 2013, 05:14 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

You have to understand that this stage will provide about a 450-500R load to the source so any step up device will take that value lower. A 1:4 ratio quickly brings you to 30 ohms so apply your SUT's carefully. Using a transformer in the other direction to bring load up to MM levels (47K) will require that the stage be quiet at MC levels. Essentially I don't think you can win both battles with this design unless it is quiet enough for MC without a SUT.

Maybe you need to look for a pair of Telefunken ECC 803S's :-)

dave

dave
Old 20th April 2013, 05:58 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

You really can't make an RIAA curve unless you can change gain by 40dB from low to high frequencies. Non-inverting feedback can't reduce gain below 0dB, so you have to start with quite a lot. There're reasons phono equalizers are made with several gain stages.

All good fortune,
Chris
Old 20th April 2013, 06:16 AM   #10
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Oh dear.

Look, MJ is cool and all, but don't go copying circuits wholesale if you can't read Japanese.

JB was wrong about the circuit. The red "X" he marked to indicate what he thought was an incorrect connection is itself wrong. The circuit is correct as originally drawn, the connection does not short to ground, it appears to set the gain, connected as it does to the "MC gain switch".

The left and right halves of the circuit are maked "MC head amp" and "Phono EQ amp" respectively. The RIAA network is right there in the circuit, bottom right, where is says "NF型EQネットワーク". The key point here is the MC/MM switch only engages the low impedance "grounded grid" input stage when MC cartridge is selected, MM carts are routed directly to the second, high impedance second stage.

Don't use the "MC head amp" circuit with a MM cart, you will be completely screwed...
Attached Images
File Type: png Phono MC Schematic.png (32.5 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by rjm; 20th April 2013 at 06:23 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!