• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hammond M3 Tube Amp Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 3 Hammond M3 Tube Amps with 3 - 12" Jensen speakers.

Amp/Output: 11 Watts

Tubes included:
2- 12AU7
2- 6C4
2- 6AU6
1- 12AX7
2- 6V6
1- 6BA6
1- 5U4

Speaker: Jensen 12" speaker.

I have hooked up the speaker to my 15 watt Kustom solid state amp & it sounded great. I would like to experment & build an amp. I was told I could use the M3 amp & make a Fender Princeton equivalent amp with it. I have no electronics experience but I am able to learn quickly. I don't know what tubes in this amp are for what, or what else would be needed. Any links, suggestions, diagrams, experience, would be greatly appreciated.

Which Princeton? According to this site, there are at least 11 varaitons with the "Princeton" name attached. With the 5E2 schematic (chosen at random) the 12AX7 and 6V6 could be used in the circuit. Then you'd need the 5Y3 rectifier and the passives and suitable output trans which you could get from New Sensor. The power trans you have from the Hammond might be suitable to use, but I don't know for sure.

The parts you have can be used in making a guitar amp, but whether it will sound like a Princeton, I dunno.

use the pair of 6V6's in push-pull with the M3's OPT.

use a AU7 for gain and splitter i guess, or a AX7 if you want to lay on some feedback. [or, if using for guitar.. AX7 + AU7, or even a 6AU6]

5U4 for rectifier.. though slightly overkill in this application. will work fine though.

early princetons were all SE, but i think the last few generations were PP (going by memory here).

i can help you design something if you want.

I built the amp at this web page: http://ax84.com/media/ax84_m189.gif
using an amp from an M3. I gutted the inside and used the terminal strips with my own layout-just the right amount of lugs. I used a solid state rectifier as in the schematic to get the correct voltage out of the power transformer and the B+ voltage was just about right on. The output stage is basically a deluxe reverb and the preamp is like a marshall plexi.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.