• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Schematic of ID of this 6V6/6U8 stereo amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for schematic on this console amp, no markings, think it is Magnavox. Chassis has enough room for a little larger OPT's so I'd like to tweak it a little.

Attachments

• magnavox6v6.jpg
    magnavox6v6.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 544
Stromberg-Carlson P-P 6V6 amp

Thanks for the ID and schematic. Did you come up with diagram on your own? Just wondered about the feedback notations, if that was your addition to factory. Were you trying to cut back some of the higher frequency? My own amp could use some new tubes, but doesn't seem to have the power of a P-P EL84 amp I built using Dyna ST-35 iron. I'm going to try better OPT's and play with a little less feedback. I do like the tagboard component board that this chassis uses over some of the rats nest wiring found on a lot of other less expensive similar amps.

I did this one in Visio, not the best for the purpose, but I have it at work, and did it on my lunch hour.

This does look exatly like the one I sold on EBay - I put RCA jacks into existing holes and the 6U8 is not original - I am told it had 7199s originally. I'll bet the previous owner couldn't find any and rewired for 6U8s. 6V6s were gone too when I got it.

I put a matched set of 6V6s in it and made the other changes listed. If you change the 6U8s, check the voltages - direct coupling in the first two stages. I might have used 6BL8s (ECF80)myself, more linear, and they're same pinout as 6U8. But don't know how they'd bias in this circuit, might have to change cathode or screen resistor.

So I was comparing this amp against your schematic, and it looks identical to your schematic, in regards to the feedback. Maybe the last owner changed it to your schematic? Anyway, I'm a little fuzzy understanding series capacitor in line with the feedback resistor, as well as paralleled. I'm used to seeing the feedback resistor, sometimes with no parrallel cap, usually with,...wouldn't having one in series effectively cut off all lower end feedback which would boost bass?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.