Help wanted with testing and finetuning. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2013, 12:45 PM   #1
jazz is offline jazz  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Help wanted with testing and finetuning.

Hi,

I've just finished a small el84 pp power amp inspired by the vacuum state pp1c. The little amp worked perfectly from the first power on and has a nice, fast detailed and very clean sound, way better then what i expected. The only comment i have is that is a little bass shy and less detailed in the bass then the pp6v6 i have and which uses the same trannies (from an old Lafayette la224B).

Now i want to do some testing and finetuning and would like your critique and advise. I've got a scope (philips pm3230), function generator (GW gfg-8015G) and a testload (8R/50W in parallel with 1,8uF times two).

Now here's my question:
-What to measure/test and how?
-What to try? (maybe some feedback like 3-6db?)

attached are the schematics (with measured voltages) and some pics.

thanks,
Joris
Attached Images
File Type: png el84 psu.png (17.3 KB, 163 views)
File Type: png el84.png (17.7 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (922.6 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (960.8 KB, 150 views)
Old 1st April 2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member

I can't see how it works if you built it as per the schematic. The lower input tube has no signal to it and the grid is grounded via a 100Ω resistor.

Is this supposed to be a balanced line input?
Old 1st April 2013, 03:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes it is meant for balanced input but basically the input stage is just an ltp sittin atop a constant current source. The lower input tube gets it's signal through the cathode so it works fine.

Joris
Old 1st April 2013, 03:38 PM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

A pentode output and no feedback means you will have high output impedance/low damping factor. Unless your speakers are specifically designed for this unusual scenario you will get a bass peak at the speaker bass resonance and rapidly falling bass below that.

You may also have somewhat high distortion.

Is the CCS circuit correct?
Old 1st April 2013, 04:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi DF96,

Agreed with the pentode no nfb comment. that's why i was thinking about adding that. Just need the figure out how to calculate the appropriate values for feedback from the 16R tap to the negative input on the ltp.

ccs was originally meant for -24vdc supply but otherwise it's straight out of mr Wright's preamp cookbook, sk147 subbed for sk170.

Joris

speakers not designed for this situation btw (sonus faber concertino's)
Old 1st April 2013, 07:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately oscilloscope and function generator are not very efficient tools for fine-tuning the amplifier. Instead you should have distortion meter and audio generator having low THD.

You can add the GNFB without any calculations. Just adjust the output level to, say 1...2 W. Then add some 10k potentiometer from the tap of output transformer to the grid of the LTP. Now adjust the potentiometer and monitor the level of output signal at the same time. When the signal is dropped to half, you have reached 6 dB GNFB etc.

Last edited by artosalo; 1st April 2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10th April 2013, 11:36 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Ok so i tried to apply feedback but as soon as i connect it i can actually hear oscillation from the output trannies. I tried 22k, 10k and 3k3.

Could it be i have the output leads reversed? I measured them and they give0.7 and 1 ohms. Right now i use the 0.7 ohm winding for the 8 ohm ls connection and assume the 1 ohm winding to go from the 8 ohm tap to the 16 ohm tap.

any suggestions?

Joris
Old 10th April 2013, 11:44 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Change primary leads.
Old 10th April 2013, 12:01 PM   #9
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz
Could it be i have the output leads reversed? I measured them and they give0.7 and 1 ohms. Right now i use the 0.7 ohm winding for the 8 ohm ls connection and assume the 1 ohm winding to go from the 8 ohm tap to the 16 ohm tap.
You may have 8 and 16 mixed up. The 16 ohm extension to the 8 ohm secondary will have 40% more turns but may be thinner wire so more than 40% extra resistance. If your secondary has just three wires then I would assume the 1 ohm section is for 8 ohms and the total winding (1.7 ohms) is for 16 ohms. Or maybe I have misunderstood what you are saying.

How, exactly, are you trying to apply feedback?
Old 10th April 2013, 12:31 PM   #10
45 is offline 45  Italy
diyAudio Member

I tend to agree with DF96, you have mixed up the secondary connections. This could explain why you get oscillations (you are basically applying positive feedback!).
Moreover, as you are using the 8 ohm and 16 ohm taps (i.e. much less secondary turns) your primary load is HUGE! I would guess that if your nominal primary load is 8K with that wrong connection it will be around 50K plate-to-plate. This also explains why you don't have bass (the primary inductance is insufficient). Have you measured the Pout? If my guess is correct your Pout shouldn't be that great....

Hide this!Advertise here!