• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

preamplifier with output transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If I am driving a tube amp (wave AV-8's) and want to make my own preamp, should I look at preamps that use OPTs?

I like the look of the ultrapath bp, is the 6gm8 wired in parallel? I was thinking of doing something similar with a 6c45.

OR perhaps a 26 triode with transformers?

I am not really sure of which transformers to get. Does a transformer just work on a ratio ie is a 6k to 600 ohm the same as a 240 volt to 24 volt transformer??

I am using a 24 volt B+ 6922 SRPP at the moment, I am thinking of doing something a little different, any suggestions ??

Adam Harvey

adharvey said:
If I am driving a tube amp (wave AV-8's) and want to make my own preamp, should I look at preamps that use OPTs?

If you want to, sure, they can work very well. Lundahls are reasonacle priced and can be sourced from Sydney.

I like the look of the ultrapath bp, is the 6gm8 wired in parallel? I was thinking of doing something similar with a 6c45.

I like it as a general topology, but not with the 6GM8. I also wouldn't parallel 6C45's.

OR perhaps a 26 triode with transformers?

Not tried it, but I beleive it can be very good.

I am not really sure of which transformers to get.

Lundahls are the best value option in Oz unless you luck onto some quality preloved/NOS units. Specific model depends on what topology you choose for the amp; series or parallel fed transformers.

Does a transformer just work on a ratio ie is a 6k to 600 ohm the same as a 240 volt to 24 volt transformer??

Vsecondary = Vprimary x turns ratio
Zsecondary = Zprimary x (turns ratio)^2
Zprimary is the output impedance of the tube stage alone.

I am using a 24 volt B+ 6922 SRPP at the moment, I am thinking of doing something a little different, any suggestions ??

My fave design, which is cheap, good sounding, sensible gain and will drive longish cables and low Z loads well, and doesn't need OPTs is the one below (thanks Dave for drawing it). It also uses cheap, tough, available tubes.

Otherwise, I agree with Colt45, except the transformers have the advantage of galvanic isolation between stages.

The Wave8 is a good, but not great amp, so building a killer pre for it is a bit of a waste unless you'll update it later.

Attachments

• bretts-12b4a-lineamp.gif
    bretts-12b4a-lineamp.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 957
maynardg said:
Brett, Do you have a recommendation for the unmarked resistor and cap?

For the R at the input, anything from 10k - 250k depending on what the previous stage is happy driving, say 200k.

The cap should be sized as small as possible to give the -3dB corner you want depending on the input Z of the next stage. Smaller caps usually sound better.

C = 1/(6.28 x Zin x f3) in F
I usually aim for 1Hz.

There should also be a shunt resistor after the output cap of 1M. Not strictly neccessary, but reduces thumps if plugging the output whilst powered up,

i couldn't agree more the recommendation for 12b4. i just built this guy and what a wonderful preamp! in my system, it's very revealing and has sparking highs.

i'm using b+ of 260v. plate of 12k, running at about 15ma. biasing at 7+v. i'll try a different operating point later.

DonJuan

DonJuan said:
i couldn't agree more the recommendation for 12b4. i just built this guy and what a wonderful preamp! in my system, it's very revealing and has sparking highs.

i'm using b+ of 260v. plate of 12k, running at about 15ma. biasing at 7+v. i'll try a different operating point later.

DonJuan

Glad you like it. I think it's a ripper, that's why I keep recommending it. Be interested to hear your views with a higher bias.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.