1955 Hammond Organ Tube Amp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2013, 02:14 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlise View Post
Yow,
Don't kill a Hammond for the amplifier. If you want a Fender type head, build that. There's a good bit of stuff in that amplifier you'll just disconnect to make a guitar amp and at that point you'll have a 3 or 4 tube amplifier not really suited to what you want. Is that an A-100? It's pretty much the same as a B3. A better project might be to 'chop' it to make a lighter B3. That's a non-electronic project. Mostly taking everything out of the mahogany case to make it lighter. Dr. Lonnie Smith travels with one, with a Lestlie speaker, all out of 1/4" plywood on wheels-nice. A working Hammond would be way better than a fubar guitar amp. The A-100 is a pretty desirable piece: A-100

Cheers,
Marshall
Come get it and bring a low watt tube head with you for trade. In fact, I have a deal for you. You come here and help me load it. I'll drive it to your house and help you get it inside. You swap me a cool low watt tube head. I foot the bill for my diesel to your house. Done.

Last edited by Torren61; 30th March 2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old 30th March 2013, 02:23 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 30th March 2013, 02:48 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

That doesn't look anything like 1 of those nice A100 units. My WAG is that it's a bottom of the line consumer model.
Old 30th March 2013, 03:04 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Google Image Result for http://www.captain-foldback.com/Hammond_sub/schematics/M3_late.gif
Old 30th March 2013, 03:54 AM   #15
scrimpu is online now scrimpu  United States
diyAudio Member

I picked up three of these M3s last year for free on CL. The first thing you need to do is read ALOT. Learn to read a schematic, then remove everything but the heater wiring and build whatever you can. I would start with a simple Fender design. I like the 5E3 personally. Keep in mind tube amps carry enough voltage to kill you even when not plugged in. Does the organ have a field coil speaker?
Old 30th March 2013, 03:59 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately M3's are pretty cheap, even in good condition. Perhaps if you at least get to appreciate all the tech that is in it before you extract the pertinent bits that could ave a good life for many more years, then that will somewhat appease those of us that have valve organs!

CiaoTim
Selmer Concert 1958
Old 30th March 2013, 03:53 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I feel a bit better. M's were sold crippled for "organists" that play with one hand. Scrapping an A or a CV or BV is a travesty, the tone generators were built to last 100 years with a little oil yearly.
The schematic diagrams are on captain-foldback.com.
The main thing you have to do to make a guitar amp is bypass the variable capacitance volume control. You can also monkey with the first stage gain resistors to get foot pedal controlled gain for that guitar "crunch" that burns up tubes. See organforum.com. I don't see the point of taking out a lot of parts to make it a Marshall. Marshalls were sold to a price point, Hammond owned the organ market in 1955 so they built it the way you would want if you were making a large profit. The vibrato circuit (2nd input) may be redundant for a guitar, but some people hook them up in front of the original amp stage for more gain to get crunch. Standard signal in is 25 mvac.
Personally I'm fiddling with speed control on a Hammond so I can bend pitch like Beck on guitar. Only six notes played at a time, guitar is so simplistic. I play 10 tones simultaneously sometimes, sometimes 12. A simple envelope generator/mixer can give Hammond tones as much twang as anybody wants.

Last edited by indianajo; 30th March 2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 30th March 2013, 04:42 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Back in the day I had an M3 (plus a Leslie), still miss it. It was awesome.

"Known for its classic tone wheel sound, many experts consider the Hammond M3 organ to be the closest organ in the spinet category to achieve the B3 sound.

Nicknamed the "Baby B", the Hammond M3 organ is very much like the B3 internally."
Old 30th March 2013, 06:52 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi Torren61,

according to your photos, your M-3 seem to be in a nearly pristine condition. Please don't destroy it, but look for a real Hammond lover instead.

If you're in search of the iron on the amp's chassis, you'd better look for the amp of a M-100, called AO-29. They are offered without the organ very often.

Best regards, Uwe
Old 30th March 2013, 10:58 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Looking at eBay a Hammond M3 is worth 200-400 bucks. A 30 watt guitar head starts at 500!

Amazing!

Hide this!Advertise here!