Where to get Vacuum Tube Valley magazine? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2013, 10:43 AM   #21
CV6045 is offline CV6045  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default CK

Thank you......its so sad that anyone feels driven to those lenghts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle K View Post
It was a surprise to everyone. There were posts in other forums about it by people who knew him.
Old 30th March 2013, 03:52 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle K View Post
The publisher of "Sound Practices" magazine, Joe Roberts lived in Texas and might still be there. Could that be the one?

BTW, that ad for David Lucas was a scam. One of many that he did. He would sell plans for those projects that never worked as advertised. His last scam was Handwound Transformers. Cheap transformers that performed poorly at best. At worst, you never got your goods. Lots of people got ripped off by this guy over the years.
From what I remember it was a quarterly publication and the size was 5.5x8.5. Might have been SP or could have just been another passing mag.

I am finding out more about Lucas. Waiting on email response now...

I do remember hearing something about an audio mag publisher committing suicide back then but it's all a blur.
Old 30th March 2013, 08:47 PM   #23
Kyle K is offline Kyle K  United States
diyAudio Member

SP was a full-sized 8.5 x 11. You might be thinking of the "VALVE" newsletter put out by Dan Schmalle prior to and during the early stages of Bottlehead, which started out in that small folded page size. Archives are here:

VALVE the magazine of astounding sound

Later articles are here:

http://web.archive.org/web/200407231.../articles.html
Old 30th March 2013, 09:03 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Him committing suicide is news to me ! do you know this for a fact ?
There was a thread here discussing the suicide. I can't find it now, maybe removed at the family's request? Financial hardship was mentioned.

Quote:
From what I remember it was a quarterly publication and the size was 5.5x8.5.
I have some copies of VTV around here somewhere. They were a full size magazine and the cover was black, white and one or two colors, not a full 4 color print job.

Quote:
I am finding out more about Lucas.
Read these threads.....

handwound transformers.com

transformers, read me!!!!
Old 30th March 2013, 09:59 PM   #25
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I wrote for VTV back in the day (300B pushpull amplifier design article) and can confirm it was a great magazine, and also recommend Sound Practices (mentioned in VTV) which is available on CDrom from Joe Roberts.

Sound Practices was the seminal magazine in the very early 1990s that got the SE/high efficiency/full range driver movements rolling here in the USA. The articles were mostly written by people one would recognize as influential today including my friend Arthur Loesch. (He died last year)

Charlie's death was a great tragedy, the reasons behind it are complex. I do not know the entire story and will NOT answer questions about it.
Old 30th March 2013, 10:10 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
Following-up (although I know we're drifting OT here...), do you know anything about the Australian outfit "Black Art"? They seem to be advertising output transformers that are quite similar to the Lucas product, handwound, and requiring payment by credit card or Paypal up-front.

This disclaimer on their "Terms" page was especially interesting: "Black Art Audio accepts no responsibility whatsoever for the accuracy of data or descriptions of goods in the catalogue or other literature supplied by the Black Art Audio".

W.T.F?

In other words, if what you get doesn't perform per their catalog spec, then it's tough cookies??? Very curious...

OTOH - they seem to have been around for a while (since at least 2002), possibly they are "clean as the driven slush". The pre-payment (and especially the disclaimer) was what raised my antennae - other similar vendors I've dealt with will take the charge-card number at order time but don't actually charge it until the product ships.

And of course, if the product doesn't perform per the catalog spec then other vendors are willing to accept responsibility or at least work with the customer...

Also curious that the URL is http://www.jeack.com.au/~lucas/opt.htm...

Dunno Kyle (read your post after posting this) - possibly not. Looks like Lucas might be an international operator, tho', if he's still in operation.

Last edited by rfengineer2013; 30th March 2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 30th March 2013, 10:21 PM   #27
Kyle K is offline Kyle K  United States
diyAudio Member

Does Black Art still exist? Their website is still there but hasn't been updated in over 10 years.
Old 30th March 2013, 11:04 PM   #28
jpak is offline jpak  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
I wrote for VTV back in the day (300B pushpull amplifier design article) and can confirm it was a great magazine, and also recommend Sound Practices (mentioned in VTV) which is available on CDrom from Joe Roberts.

Sound Practices was the seminal magazine in the very early 1990s that got the SE/high efficiency/full range driver movements rolling here in the USA. The articles were mostly written by people one would recognize as influential today including my friend Arthur Loesch. (He died last year)

Charlie's death was a great tragedy, the reasons behind it are complex. I do not know the entire story and will NOT answer questions about it.
Kevin do you know which issue the 300B P-P was in?
Old 31st March 2013, 12:14 AM   #29
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpak View Post
Kevin do you know which issue the 300B P-P was in?
I seem to recall that it was issue 12.. Those amps now live in Maine where they get a lot of use I'm happy to say.
Old 1st April 2013, 11:12 PM   #30
jpak is offline jpak  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
I seem to recall that it was issue 12.. Those amps now live in Maine where they get a lot of use I'm happy to say.
You're correct it's in in issue 12

Great article, very well documented.

Hide this!Advertise here!