Where to get Vacuum Tube Valley magazine? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2013, 06:17 PM   #11
CV6045 is offline CV6045  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default VTV

They were based in California

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTarzan View Post
Does anyone know where VTV was based out of? I used to work at a printing company in Austin during the 90's and we printed a small tube audio magazine and I would almost swear it was VTV. I know I have at least a couple issues of whatever it was squirreled away somewhere... I thought the cover was color though.. Hmm. Great link.
Old 29th March 2013, 06:23 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Now I am curious and must try to find those magazines. Maybe Glass Audio?
Does anyone remember an ad for the "The Best Subwoofer Ever" plans in the 90's from VTV and the like? It was something like V-shaped wooden panels nested inside each other?

Last edited by MeTarzan; 29th March 2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 29th March 2013, 06:29 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Found it! Anyone build one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lucas_01 (1).jpg (149.6 KB, 434 views)
Old 29th March 2013, 11:30 PM   #14
rmyauck is offline rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

Argus!

Thanks very much for that link! Nice reading!
Old 30th March 2013, 12:05 AM   #15
Kyle K is offline Kyle K  United States
diyAudio Member

The publisher of "Sound Practices" magazine, Joe Roberts lived in Texas and might still be there. Could that be the one?

BTW, that ad for David Lucas was a scam. One of many that he did. He would sell plans for those projects that never worked as advertised. His last scam was Handwound Transformers. Cheap transformers that performed poorly at best. At worst, you never got your goods. Lots of people got ripped off by this guy over the years.
Old 30th March 2013, 12:29 AM   #16
lhgin is offline lhgin  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Thanks Argus! Great link!
Old 30th March 2013, 03:21 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
BTW, that ad for David Lucas was a scam.
BIG TIME.....several of my friends got ripped off in his transformer scam. I am one of the lucky ones. My 845SE amp has been running Handwound OPT's for about 7 years now. They actually work, sound good, even measure reasonably well, and haven't blown up yet with 1100 volts on them.

I also got a pair of 6L6GC push pull OPT's.....they do suck.
Old 30th March 2013, 04:18 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV6045 View Post
Yes its a real shame that VTV went out of print, it was a great read. The reason it did was because the Editor and Owner of the Magazine Charles Kittleson died 2 or 3 years ago. What is a real pity is that no one had the interest to keep it going. That said I think CK was the main driving force behind it and it was he alone that made it so good. I think The Parts Connexion have some back issues.
VTV stopped producing new issues well before (about 5 years) Kittleson committed suicide in 2009. He was a good guy and well-intentioned, but he also kept taking new subscriptions years after issue 20 came out. I think he intended to start publishing again, but was never able to. VTV and Sound Practices were my favorite reads of that period. Both were quarterly publications but were chronically late, and I used to read them over and over waiting for the next issues to come. Even with all the information available online these days, I still miss them.
Old 30th March 2013, 09:31 AM   #19
CV6045 is offline CV6045  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Charlie Kittleson

Him committing suicide is news to me ! do you know this for a fact ? Whilst I am not saying that you are wrong it is nonetheless a surprise. The official report of his death states....February 27, 2009 - The KPFZ community just began to learn of Charlie's passing yesterday, February 26, yet he died over three weeks ago. Cause of death remains something his family chooses not to discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle K View Post
VTV stopped producing new issues well before (about 5 years) Kittleson committed suicide in 2009. He was a good guy and well-intentioned, but he also kept taking new subscriptions years after issue 20 came out. I think he intended to start publishing again, but was never able to. VTV and Sound Practices were my favorite reads of that period. Both were quarterly publications but were chronically late, and I used to read them over and over waiting for the next issues to come. Even with all the information available online these days, I still miss them.
Old 30th March 2013, 09:40 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

It was a surprise to everyone. There were posts in other forums about it by people who knew him.

Hide this!Advertise here!