• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ECC81 mu-follower problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have noise in both channels, I do the measurements and the voltage between the two tubes in place of 85V I have 175V after this measurment I tested the heater elevataion and voltage is ok 76V, can be the two tubes are damaged?

Attachments

• Mufollower2 noise.jpg
    Mufollower2 noise.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 507
Do the other voltages on the schematic measure as they should? Voltage across the 560R cathode resistor of the upper triode would be interesting.

Does the red LED light up?

Rundmaus

EDIT: Is the red LED a standard type or did you accidentally stumble upon a low-current LED?

Last edited:
If the LED lights up and there are only 8.7V across the 33k resistor, either there is a wiring error or the LED is a low current type.

But if there is no plate current in the lower triode, there shouldn't be plate current in the upper one either - which would show up in the other voltages being wrong.

Please, give a readout of the voltages around the 560R and check if the LED lights up.

Rundmaus

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Do the other voltages on the schematic measure as they should? Voltage across the 560R cathode resistor of the upper triode would be interesting.

Does the red LED light up?

Rundmaus

EDIT: Is the red LED a standard type or did you accidentally stumble upon a low-current LED?

Voltage across 560R, left channel 0,881V, right channel 0,939V

The LEDs are 20mA, yes both red LEDs are light up.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
.... I tested the heater elevataion and voltage is ok 76V, can be the two tubes are damaged?

quote from Valve Wizard

Heater elevation: Because the upper cathode is at a high voltage it is usually necessary to elevate the heater supply to avoid exceeding the maximum rated heater-cathode voltage (Vhk). For the ECC81 this is 90V, so we would need to elevate the heater by at least 100V.

I have no idea what it means, but thats what it says
only found the figures to look different
or are you saying your measured heater-cathode voltage is 76V, and ok being below 90V :confused:

Merlin,

the voltage measurements seem inconsistent:

In the first post you measured 175V where there should be 85V (between tubes = plate of lower tube). Then there are only 8.7V across the 33k resistor.

Now you say that the lower plate is at 135V, leaving approx. 50V across the 33k. Thats 1.5mA plate current. Consistent with 0.9V across the 560R resistor, again approx. 1.5mA plate current.

A bit on the low side, but definitely better than the 175V reading before.

What meter (low internal resistance?) are you using?

Rundmaus

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.