• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Should I upgrade considering.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to decide whether I should upgrade my S5 Electronics K12G or buy the Elekit TU-879S tube kit....

link here...

Here's my situation - my system is an All-in-One touchscreen PC, an AudioQuest Dragonfly running into a stock K12G, AudioQuest Type-4 speaker wire into ZaphAudio Bargain Mini speakers (link here) and a M&K Sub. The speakers are on a glass desk with the monitor directly between them - so it's a desktop system. Most of this is never going to change - so I am always going to be limited in soundstaging/imaging because of the desk and the monitor. My source music is mostly pop/rock/classic rock/alt/soundtracks - at least half is lossless.

My dilemma is at what point am I not to going to see any benefit with a better amp because of the limitations of my desktop system?

Do I spend $400 to totally overhaul the K12G with great parts, or do I buy a the EleKit for $600? Is the Elekit, running KT88 tubes for example, $400 better than an upgraded K12G considering my system? I know better amps will obviously sound better, but there is only so much you can get out of a Dragonfly and there is only so much that be heard from Zaph Mini's....

Thanks for the opinions!!!!

Upgrading the K12G output transformers to Hammond or Edcors would IMHO make a noticeable difference to the amp, that's if you want to stay with a push pull design.

Getting an Elekit means your going down the Single Ended design route. You may or may not be impressed by the sound.

Think I would spend my money on speakers as chip647 says :)

Interesting - speakers instead huh? I was sorta under the impression that my speakers were getting the most out of the K12 and that the amp was the weakest link......perhaps just because it was a $200 kit made with TV tubes - I guess I figured there wasn't much more to be had from it....but this is my first foray into tubes.....wasn't sure what to expect from a tube...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.