• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Driving an EL34 amp without driver stage ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had recently a brief discussion with John Broskie and he gabe me the hint, that construting a poweramp without driverstage is the trick, so that the linestage directly swings +-35v. Well, I am not yet sure how you would do this...an Aikido with this voltage swing ? currently I use his unbalancer with a 12au7 doing the upscaling of the small signal from the sabre dac 9018 to something like 2 V. But 35v ? 70v p-p ? Would this not result in another stage in the linestage simply ? I guess it only makes sense when you can save a stage and get rid of coupling caps etc...

Last edited:
Well, i guess its all about defining different interface standards, not the typical 2v for the power amp for example. And I guess must be something about saving stages..like with Nelson Pass F4...

...in my case I am already driving directly the el34 from menno

http://www.mennovanderveen.nl/images/ul40s2-bias/UL40-S2 in ST mode + auto-bias.jpg

with john's unbalancer

http://www.tubecad.com/2011/03/22/Unbalancer Schematic.png

So, even if I would use the setuo differential and not se, not sure how to save the 6922 driverstage in the el34 poweramp...

You have a balanced signal,then an unbalancer,and to drive the PP you balance the signal again ????
What's the use of all this :eek:
Mona

I know, i know. its on the list. the ul-40s2 has been a kit...with Se input. I am currently building three different line stages fully balanced and than switch the ul-40s2.

It is about understanding what is possble and not changiing too much at the same time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.