• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

45 amp with 6N7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pieter Treurniet's reply:
then why did you come up with that Pimm graph, as it apparently gives no information on non loaded transformers below 100 Hz?

I just quote this because, again, it's wrong and proves you are not credible. I gave this info in my first post in this thread! The Pimm graph came into play as you criticized Lundahl products.
Else, I really don't care what you think, what you say and what you do and I am certainly not willing to help you to understand! Certainly you cannot stay away from this forum. A proverb says " the one who despises just buys!".

I just quote this because, again, it's wrong and proves you are not credible. I gave this info in my first post in this thread! The Pimm graph came into play as you criticized Lundahl products.
Else, I really don't care what you think, what you say and what you do and I am certainly not willing to help you to understand! Certainly you cannot stay away from this forum. A proverb says " the one who despises just buys!".

I think you did a great job by explaining some misconceptions.

SE CONCEPT 801A

The project is going slowly. I still don’t have all the parts yet (it’s faster to get a box from Europe than USA unless you’re ready to pay an outrageous price!). Finally decided to choose 6A6s instead of 6N7Gs because it’s easier (and cheaper) to get them.

For design details, please refer to Thomas’s blog:

VinylSavor: Single Ended Amplifier Concept, Part 6

It took time to make up my mind but after reading the SE concept articles and some other experiments (audio-talk :: View topic - 801A SE), I decided to stick on Vinylsavor DHT SE.

Description:

R1= 200k (on hand)
R2= 1k, 1W
R3= around 1.5k (between 1.2k and 1.8k), 5-6W

C1,C2,C5= combination of 10, 22, 47 and 50 µF (Solen caps on hand bypassed by 0.1 PIO and BTW Solen Canada isn’t that far…)
C3,C4= 100-200µF. I’d put OS-CON there but the voltage is too high at C4 for what I can have around here. However, Nichicon and Panasonic make also polymer caps easily available at 50-63V rating. It’s also possible to put a big Solen 100µF (or maybe a smaller value) if I have the space. All bypassed PIO also.

801A and 6A6 HV: two Tom Cr. Maida regulators will do the job. Probably a choke filter (or power resistor) will be used to reduce the voltage for the 801A power supply since I have around 685V raw DC (don’t like the idea of a very big heatsink on the MOSFET). Since the main transformer is CT, the “0” goes for 6A6s supply that only needs 300V (half of high voltage).

801A and 6A6 heater: both DC regulated (LT1083). Slow ramp. In the case of 801A, I wired two 5A dual bobbins transformers in series for that purpose.

OPT: big Electra-Print 10K/6s I have will be wired (but meant for my 211 amp).

Attachments

• SE-concept-DHT.jpg
    SE-concept-DHT.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 348
Hi!

801A and 6A6 heater: both DC regulated (LT1083). Slow ramp. In the case of 801A, I wired two 5A dual bobbins transformers in series for that purpose.

If you want to use regulated filament supplies, I strongly recommend to use current regulation. The 801A is extremely sensitive to the filament supply. The filament supply is very audible with this tube. The Coleman regs should be a save bet. I still prefer the passive approach with LCL filters.

Best regards

Thomas

Hi!

A "passive approach" means something similar at.. VinylSavor: Making of a 211 Amplifier, Part 1: Planning ?

Yes, but if you are on a budget or space is restricted use the Coleman regs.

It looks like one of the 211 monoblocks filament supply could be used for two 801As but the inductance seems pretty high (100 mHy)...I saw choke values between 10-20 mHy for 801A.

I use Lundahl LL2733 filament chokes. For the 211 they are wired in parallel due to the high current. For the 801 they can be wired in series for 400mHy. I want lots of decoupling from the power supply. You need separate filament supplies otherwise the tubes will not bias independently any more.

Best regards

Thomas

Hi!

Check the tube datasheet for the max allowed grid to ground resistance. 500k for cathode bias. 100k for fixed bias.

I did. But an experienced person's advice is always welcome.

For testing you can also connect directly to ground, assuming you have a cathode resistor installed. Thomas

Ah! I didn't know that. Yes I have a 1.5K installed. Thanks again.

Change

I'd like to look for a different HV line filter for the 801A. The MOSFET in my regulator blown...Voltage too high. Would have to change some part values. Actually, it would need a power resistor just before the regulator but a lot of energy would be lost. Since I have already a Hammond 193C (20H, 100 mA, 600V) I could try a LCL (with a small cap after the bridge) using it as a second choke. However, looking at other Hammond chokes, I would have to put two in series to get a "first choke combo" that holds the voltage.
Does someone have another suggestion?
Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.