• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PP Output Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for someone to make for me a Pair of PP Output Transformers. Size and Price are not an issue....I just want the best I can lay my hands on. I have considered SOWTER but they really dont want to make anything outside the norm, as I am looking to have them made with C Core and Silver wire on the secondary. If you guys can give me any suggestion as to where I should start to look I would appreciate it.

I have a contact in Parkstone, Dorset. He can manufacture transformers to any specification and quality.
I had a1957 Ampeg in with a transformer issue. No problem, he made a new transformer to fit and that was 5years ago. Still going strong.
Majestic Transformers Co., Rossmore Road, Parkstone, Poole, Dorset. BH12 2HQ
email david@transformers.uk.com
Hope that helps.

Hello and thank you for your reply. I am aware of Majestic Transformers...they made some Mains Transformers for me about 5 years ago and also a Pair of Output Transformers for 211's in push pull. They only lasted about 10 minutes before Flashing Over and going up in smoke. I used to use Bob Sugden (Lancroft Audio Australia) to make my Transformers, but he shut up shop about 5 years ago and retired....that was a real shame as he really new his stuff when it came to making Transformers.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Please forget the silver wire, it is complete waste of money, now days copper grades are just as good a electrical conductor good as silver is (highly purified copper does even exceed silver and has been around since the end of the last century). Silver has only advantages when it comes to heat conduction or if the surface is unprotected (a corroded silver surface is still a good conductor whereas copper is not!).

Output TraNSFORMERS

Many thanks for the reply....I tend to agree with you that Silver wire is probably a waste of money...that said I am prepared to give it at least a try. I have had a quote from "Transtronic" here in the UK to make a pair of O/P Tx for me using Silver Wire on the Secondary (cost 1,000 Euros each). I could always go to Audio Note but they talk in telephone numbers and want about 10,000 euros for one. If anyone has used Transtronic before then I would be interested to hear what they think of them.

Many thanks for the reply....I tend to agree with you that Silver wire is probably a waste of money...that said I am prepared to give it at least a try. I have had a quote from "Transtronic" here in the UK to make a pair of O/P Tx for me using Silver Wire on the Secondary (cost 1,000 Euros each). I could always go to Audio Note but they talk in telephone numbers and want about 10,000 euros for one. If anyone has used Transtronic before then I would be interested to hear what they think of them.

Audionote is expensive for....what?
There T300 improved HiB cost 644 and for super HiB 854. Ultra HiB 1162.
Just changing the loops will almost double the price. A normal big FeSi C-core cost maybe 20-30 euro and the best HiB (ultra HiB?) maybe 5-10 more.

Dos anybody know what the difference is between HiB and HiB from AN?

Last edited:
I'm in agreement that silver wire is probably not the best way to spend your money, but it does have one important advantage. Silver wire's magnetic field induction conversion factor is better than copper. It does convert flux into current more readily than copper. In theory, this should translate into being able to resolve the small nuances in the music better. This information is straight from Jack at Electro-Print.

The big question is can you hear the difference? In a comparison of 45 tube amps, I was not able to correctly pick out the OPT with silver secondary windings. I thought I heard a difference, but wasn't sure. So for me, I could not tell a difference.

I think that a copper/silver alloy wire would be interesting to experiment with.

as for silver, I made crossover inductors before that performed very nice. I would imagine that an SE transformer would be very large in size, but the trade off of insertion loss vs saturation would have to be considered. A toroid design would have less insertion loss. I wonder if plytron ever experimented with silver and silver alloy wire in their toroid designs.

PP output Transformers

Gentlemen there does seem to be a difference of opinion on Copper versus Silver . I guess the only way is to have a blind listening test. I do suspect that unless you have ears like a German Shepherd that it would be hard to really tell the difference

I think that a copper/silver alloy wire would be interesting to experiment with.

as for silver, I made crossover inductors before that performed very nice. I would imagine that an SE transformer would be very large in size, but the trade off of insertion loss vs saturation would have to be considered. A toroid design would have less insertion loss. I wonder if plytron ever experimented with silver and silver alloy wire in their toroid designs.

Yes they did, maybe not Plitron but Amplimo who uses the same design from Menno vd Veen did. They use silverwire from Siltech. On the site from Menno is more information.
Menno van der Veen, audio electronic research & consultancy

Silver wire's magnetic field induction conversion factor is better than copper. It does convert flux into current more readily than copper. In theory, this should translate into being able to resolve the small nuances in the music better. This information is straight from Jack at Electro-Print.

WTF?

Basic laws of physics as induction are (luckily) completely unaware of audiophile foolery... But reading such statements makes me want to bang my head on the desk and cry...

Last edited:
Induction is induction is induction. Talk about ferrite vs iron and include high frequencies and I will agree that iron is best for low frequencies. Copper vs silver ... I am lost for words. How gullible have you got to be?
Maybe silly is a better adjective in this case.
Silver is for holding a diamond to an engagement ring or UHF, not for transformers at audio frequencies!

Gentlemen, this discussion Copper vs Silver in a transformer appears to be heating up a little. Whilst I do not subscribe to the virtues of Silver over Copper I am nonetheless prepared to keep and open mind on it. The only way I could be convinced one way or the other is a blind test. Notwithstanding, I am sure there is a good reason why Copper Wire is used in a Transformer rather than say Aluminum Wire....I dare say that maybe just maybe the same could be said for Silver vs Copper, I wonder

Gentlemen, this discussion Copper vs Silver in a transformer appears to be heating up a little. Whilst I do not subscribe to the virtues of Silver over Copper I am nonetheless prepared to keep and open mind on it. The only way I could be convinced one way or the other is a blind test. Notwithstanding, I am sure there is a good reason why Copper Wire is used in a Transformer rather than say Aluminum Wire....I dare say that maybe just maybe the same could be said for Silver vs Copper, I wonder

A very sensible comment. I commend this to The House. (As they say in Parliament).

Sorry CV6045,

I did not mean to heat up any discussion. But I spent years of sometimes painful studying science, and it angers me when such complete male-cow-excrements (the correct word would be censored by the forum software) turns up in our forum.

There is no ominous 'induction-conversion-factor'. The laws of induction are known and applied for more than 100 years now....

I am sure there is a good reason why Copper Wire is used in a Transformer rather than say Aluminum Wire....

Lower resistance, solderability, mechanical properties....

Rundmaus

Last edited:
I know the reasons why they use Copper Wire over Aluminum, I was being flippant in my comments. As I said just maybe the same difference between Copper vs Aluminum can be seen in Copper vs Silver. I hope I can answer that when I report back here in a month or so after I have carried an evaluation. just to extend the discussion a little further....could we say that Jensen Silver Foil Paper in Oil Caps are better than Jensen Aluminum Foil or for that matter ones made by Mundorf ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.