Gray Research AM-50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2013, 08:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Gray Research AM-50

Hello Everyone,
I picked up a pair of these and I am in the process of rebuilding them. I was wondering if anybody could give me a hand at what bias voltage these should be set at. They have the Dynaco A-431 opts( 4300 ohm primary). They are running 400v UL on EL34 ouput tubes. As it stands right now I can only get about -8.5v with the bias adjust pot wide open. Is that enough bias at that plate voltage? Should I replace that pot so I have more adjustment ? I could see that would be needed to run 6l6gc in the amp if I wanted to. Also if anybody can recommend any mods to help with stabilty or tube longevity or anything. I sure would listen. Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 09:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

From my skill, I know, bias for EL34 /or 6L6/ is more -20 v. -8.5 v are doesn't enough. You can use mixed bias /fixed - 8.5 plus automatic bias about -20 v, using common cathode resistor /for PP/, shunted with electrolitic cap.
Old 20th March 2013, 10:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azazello View Post
From my skill, I know, bias for EL34 /or 6L6/ is more -20 v. -8.5 v are doesn't enough. You can use mixed bias /fixed - 8.5 plus automatic bias about -20 v, using common cathode resistor /for PP/, shunted with electrolitic cap.
Thanks for the reply. I did notice that there is a 10k resistor attatched to the bias pot going to ground could I change that to get a different bias voltage range?
Old 20th March 2013, 10:31 PM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

You need something like -25V to -35V on the grid, unless it uses mixed grid/cathode bias. Show us the circuit for the output stage.
Old 20th March 2013, 10:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
You need something like -25V to -35V on the grid, unless it uses mixed grid/cathode bias. Show us the circuit for the output stage.
I cant find ANY info on these. from what I gather its a dynaco mk 2 with out 460v on the plates of the outputs. there is also a 1k resistor going from the selenium rectifier to the wire coming from the bias pot. I removed it and fired the amp back up and it smoked the 100v bias capacitor. So that has to go back in or something like it .
Old 20th March 2013, 11:07 PM   #6
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Get rid of the selenium rectifier. They are unreliable, and produce toxic fumes when they fail.
Old 21st March 2013, 07:26 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

First: I think, maybe something is wrong with -8.5v, this is not suitable for something in Your amplifier. You can check bias rectifier. You can disconnect AC wires from it /that go from transformer and check how is AC. Than connect to rectifier and check in it output DC/when output is disconnected from caps/. .....Or check rectifier to short /but first disconnect all it wires/. If there is short, You can change it.
Second: About Cathode bias, /maybe there is/
http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/010/e/EL34.pdf
You can see, according data sheet, and found where are the cathodes of pair EL34. They must be connected and from common point the wire go or to ground, or to common resistor. If there is resistor, it must be about 100-200 ohm and check how is U on it.
More, after give us more info.

Last edited by azazello; 21st March 2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 21st March 2013, 07:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Last edited by azazello; 21st March 2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 21st March 2013, 10:17 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Jason ,

You got bad coupling caps , a change value resistor or a bad selenium rectifier . It looks like a copy of a Dyna MKII does it have a 7199 in t to drive the EL34's .The bias should be about -36 volts

Last edited by battradio; 21st March 2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 21st March 2013, 07:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by battradio View Post
Hi Jason ,

You got bad coupling caps , a change value resistor or a bad selenium rectifier . It looks like a copy of a Dyna MKII does it have a 7199 in t to drive the EL34's .The bias should be about -36 volts
Its got a a 6an8 doing the driving. before the 1k resistor it has -27 volts after the 1 k its about -8. If I lower the 1k to say 500 ohms what will that do?

Hide this!Advertise here!