12B4 vs. 12B4A - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2013, 12:54 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Default 12B4 vs. 12B4A

I may have a problem here, I have a quad of 12B4/As and I think pairing a 12B4 with a 12B4A will REALLY screw things up.
As I understand it the "A" version is a "slow start" version, the 'standard 12B4 is not. Paralleled on the outputs one will come up to temperature well before the other, drawing more current initially before the other....Bad idea? Smokin' bad idea?

__________________________________________________ _____Rick.........
Attached Images
File Type: gif 12B4Amp.gif (6.8 KB, 161 views)
Old 20th March 2013, 01:04 AM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

if you have them connected like that , do not worry
Old 20th March 2013, 01:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

In 7 and 9 pin mini tubes, the "A" type suffix indicates controlled heater warmup time. That is of consequence ONLY when series heater strings are employed.

BTW, do you have heater current to spare? If so, get the nasty, non-linear, 12AU7 out and a linear 12BH7 in.
Old 20th March 2013, 02:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Eli.........I have a 3A heater, the four 12B4s' will take 2.4A of that....I have a 'spare' TX split-bobbin at 12VRMS that I want to run thru a 317 to run the 12XXX. I have a AX and an AT .....I'll assume the AX runs "too hot"....I don't know about the AT...............don't have a BH. If I can readily get a BH........Is it a drop-in or do I have to re-bias??

__________________________________________________ ________Rick.......
Old 20th March 2013, 02:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

A 12BH7 will go in a 12AU7 "hole" without any wiring changes, IF sufficient extra heater current is available. The 12BH7 draws twice the heater current.

Hide this!Advertise here!