Preamp for guitar - low distortion - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2003, 07:19 PM   #1
Stewen is offline Stewen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Preamp for guitar - low distortion

Hallo ! Please give me an advice how to build a preamp for guitar with tubes and with a very clean, lowdistorted sound. EF 86, ECC 83, and other tubes are on my shelf. Thanks for an answer . Stewen in Sweden
Old 26th November 2003, 01:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The simple answer is to build it as you would a good audio pre-amp i.e. design it so that it doesn't overdrive. So any good design for handling a CD input would do the job nicely. I guess you should include a nice tone control setup - for clean channels I tend to use the James variation as included on Duncan's tone design app. as it has the most range. I would also build in more gain than a CD input would really justify but it's not compulsary.

BTW, I often use a little ECL82Se stereo amp for playing guitar through when I want it very clean - and , yes, I use my stereo speakers too. The tone is wonderful - the true sound of the guitar and pickups. Drawback is that it shows just how good or not your finger work is {or in my case as my finger work is poor - what do you expect I'm really a bass player }

ciao

James

Hide this!Advertise here!