Gyrator on ccs-tailed LTP? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2013, 02:34 AM   #1
Jehan is offline Jehan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default Gyrator on ccs-tailed LTP?

What will happen if we subtitute plate resistor with a gyrator on ccs-tailed LTP? I think it would sounds good(maybe?).
Old 16th March 2013, 03:48 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

A gyrator "synthesizes" an inductance. Make that inductance large enough and LTP gain will approach 1/2 μ. I plan on trying a choke (genuine or "synthetic") loaded LTP, with a CCS in the tail, as part of a Class "B2" #46 amp.
Old 16th March 2013, 04:16 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Class b2? Interesting. btw, what's the tube you'd like to use at the output stage?
Old 16th March 2013, 06:01 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I intend to use the #46, which is a very interesting directly heated type that contains 2 grids, but is always used as a triode. The #46 works as either a Class "A1" gain device or as a Class "B2" O/P device. The idea was to reduce inventory requirements.
Old 16th March 2013, 06:33 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I remember an amplifier which uses the #46 as driver and transformer coupled to push pull #46, forget where its source, but it was a neat-looking amp. :-)
Old 16th March 2013, 07:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehan View Post
I remember an amplifier which uses the #46 as driver and transformer coupled to push pull #46, forget where its source, but it was a neat-looking amp. :-)
The setup you described is on the data sheet I linked. I intend to construct an "El Cheapo" variant with Tubelab's PowerDrive on the #46 grids.
Old 16th March 2013, 08:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehan View Post
What will happen if we subtitute plate resistor with a gyrator on ccs-tailed LTP? I think it would sounds good(maybe?).
I've been doing this for a while with Wavebourn's SVCS circuit. It works and sounds very good. Wb's circuit itself is the best sounding SS Plate load I've heard to date, and on the plate of a driver makes adjustment of direct coupled configs easy - especially useful in experimental circuits.
I've also been using the idea in a phono stage for the past couple of months and it has been working quite well. The device used in the cathode CCS does have a considerable effect on the sound - subtle maybe, but far reaching in terms of how you end up listening to the music.
Old 17th March 2013, 03:58 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks, i've got an idea to use Wb's SVCS as plate load on tube differential amp with ccs at its common cathode for super-duper CMRR.

Hide this!Advertise here!