I just inherited a TON of tubes and tube amp components. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2013, 04:24 AM   #1
B3finga is offline B3finga  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I just inherited a TON of tubes and tube amp components.

I recently inherited a ton of tubes and tube amp components. I haven't counted yet, but I'm gonna guess over 1000 tubes, cabinets full of capacitors, resistors, chokes, transformers, tools, etc. Plus a bunch of antique radios and misc. electronics. I've got boxes full of NOS tubes by Tung-Sol, Sylvania, GE, RCA, Realistic, Philco, Truetone, Ken-Rad, and more.

Both my Grandfather and Great Grandfather were radio and TV repairmen. Lots of this stuff dates back to the 30's and 40's. I'm a musician, so I've always been interested in tube amps, but never have learned how to build them or work on them extensively....Now I'm gonna learn.

I want to start by converting this 1956 Motorola HS-544 amp into a guitar amp. It's old and might need tubes and caps, but I think that will be a good starting point. I would like to make it into a guitar head with a 15" speaker cabinet.

Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 14th March 2013, 04:32 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
You just hit the mother-lode!!

The world is your oyster now!
Suggested readings......Morgan Jones(Author) Valve amplifiers...several 'modern' editions.

__________________________________________________ ______Rick.....

Last edited by Richard Ellis; 14th March 2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old 14th March 2013, 04:56 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I suggest that you lay in a supply of Calamine lotion as people are going to be all over you like a rash.
Old 14th March 2013, 05:06 AM   #4
B3finga is offline B3finga  United States
diyAudio Member

I was told by my grandfather before he died that there is a box full of NOS Mullards somewhere. I've got a 10' x 30' building full of electronics to go through. There is no telling what I'll find. I'm pretty excited about this.
Old 14th March 2013, 05:19 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

B3finga,

Run a Google search on NEETS. NEETS is U.S. Navy training stuff and will get you started in acquiring the requisite background theory.

BTW, there's a good chance that any electrolytic caps. in the "pile" have literally dried out, with the passage of time. However it costs next to nothing to try reforming those parts. It is possible to luck out.
Old 14th March 2013, 07:15 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hmmm. Depending on what it all is, I'd be cataloging, then selling off the more valuable (read: madly audiophile/phool) bits to fund the builds you want to do.

Or else you'll end up like George (Tubelab) with a warehouse full and not enough lifetimes to get through it all...
Old 14th March 2013, 09:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

HS-544 should make a good guitar amp - plenty of gain (even more if you change that first 12AU7 to 12AX7). You'll need the DjVu plug-in or equivalent to open the schematic: http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/s..._HS544_62.djvu
Old 14th March 2013, 09:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

If you find a FM tube radio in the pile with no missing parts let me know. I only have 20 or so other things on the go.
Old 14th March 2013, 10:30 PM   #9
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3finga View Post
I recently inherited a ton of tubes and tube amp components. I haven't counted yet, but I'm gonna guess over 1000 tubes, cabinets full of capacitors, resistors, chokes, transformers, tools, etc. Plus a bunch of antique radios and misc. electronics. I've got boxes full of NOS tubes by Tung-Sol, Sylvania, GE, RCA, Realistic, Philco, Truetone, Ken-Rad, and more.

Both my Grandfather and Great Grandfather were radio and TV repairmen. Lots of this stuff dates back to the 30's and 40's. I'm a musician, so I've always been interested in tube amps, but never have learned how to build them or work on them extensively....Now I'm gonna learn.

I want to start by converting this 1956 Motorola HS-544 amp into a guitar amp. It's old and might need tubes and caps, but I think that will be a good starting point. I would like to make it into a guitar head with a 15" speaker cabinet.

Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Before you rip up that amp, consider it may have more value restored.

You can always build a guitar amp, but the Motorola amp may be something that is not easily found in the world, therefore of some value.
Old 14th March 2013, 10:53 PM   #10
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

looks like someone worked on the Motorola amp and plugged in new tubes
and seems it already got a jack plug ?

when you say you are a musician and always been interested in tube amps, one wonders if maybe ...

Hide this!Advertise here!