Troughline, Stereo 20, Technics 1200.Unhappy! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2013, 11:10 AM   #11
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Are you aware that many Troughlines have incorrect de-emphasis capacitors, so they introduce a treble shelf? This will make it sound 'warm', so other (correct) sources will sound a bit thin by comparison. Yes, the Troughline sound which everyone likes is caused by a design error!
Old 13th March 2013, 11:27 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Location: Right next to beach, a potatoe toss to the whitewater
I will when I am able. However it's a 12ax7 preamp. It's built with the tetra board. I have checked and its RIAA accurate. Short leads from TT and amp. I also have a SS battery powered per amp. No real difference. Got to be something else. Maybe the arm, the plinth? The cart gets good reviews
Old 13th March 2013, 11:55 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Try increasing the load capacitance if you can. I've heard Ort. OM30's sound really "bright" into some RIAA's. Maybe the 2M's are similar for loading?

jeff
Old 13th March 2013, 12:08 PM   #14
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

What is the output stage (impedance) of the phono pre-amp?
Old 13th March 2013, 02:09 PM   #15
rmgvs is offline rmgvs  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I am glad with the subjective comments of the thread starter. I'v had this same experience during a number of phases in my audio-history and never understood them well. In the seventies I had several tuners with which I have heard live broadcasts that were unbelievable good. I had Stanton 681EEE element in my turntable and when listening to a decent station on FM I very often could not help thinking that this was way better than the phono. I even went so far as to write to the station to ask which cartridge they used in the studio (Shure M75 and dozens of filters en limiters!).

And strange enough this effect seems to repeat itself in internet streaming radio. I listen to mp3-streams that can not be better than my own cd's, but nevertheless I enjoy them more.

I know of some amplifiers that deliberately use some treble-tailoring to sound more easy on the ears. Maybe it's an illusion to think that the most 'straight' amp or source is the most pleasing to the ears. But this is the end of high-end?
Old 13th March 2013, 02:46 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

look at the other post. lick the back of the cart.
Old 13th March 2013, 03:01 PM   #17
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgvs
I know of some amplifiers that deliberately use some treble-tailoring to sound more easy on the ears. Maybe it's an illusion to think that the most 'straight' amp or source is the most pleasing to the ears. But this is the end of high-end?
Hi-fi is about the closest approach to the original sound.

High-end can be about taking money off the gullible, who then actually brag to their friends about how easy it is to take money off them! People sometimes assume that high-end is the excellent end of hi-fi; it is often just the expensive end of audio.
Old 13th March 2013, 06:10 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
People sometimes assume that high-end is the excellent end of hi-fi; it is often just the expensive end of audio.
The "mid-end" is where all the excellence is.

WTF? Troughline, Stereo 20, Technics 1200.Unhappy!

jeff

Last edited by vinylkid58; 13th March 2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 13th March 2013, 08:39 PM   #19
VaNarn is offline VaNarn  Australia
diyAudio Member

The system needs to be heard to come to any meaningful conclusion as to what may be astray.The Troughline tuner like all r.f. equipment of that era could be out of alignment and the de-emphasis cct could be wrong as has already been suggested.Perhaps other front end components could be substituted; certainly another pre-amp for a start and for interest,how do C.D's perform in comparision?
Old 13th March 2013, 11:06 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hang on, have you tried different carts? sorry in advance if this has been suggested

Hide this!Advertise here!