Bench Power Supply: What to look for ? Which one to get ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2013, 08:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bench Power Supply: What to look for ? Which one to get ?

Last edited by HP8903B; 3rd March 2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11th March 2013, 09:18 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

an old BIG tube oscilloscope. Donor parts for Africa includng a huge FO power transformer with about a gazillion tappings. Then take a quick search in this and the tools forums - the issue has come up before a number of times

Or, trawl the surplus gear places you guys in the 48 are so lucky to have on your back doorstep...
Old 11th March 2013, 01:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have a couple of these.

Heathkit IP-17 HV Power Supply

I found one older version available at Ebay now:

Heathkit IP 32 Regulated Power Supply | eBay

One possibility is to build your own.
With power NFET's it can be guite compact.
Old 11th March 2013, 03:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manp111 View Post
As for requirement, I need two plate voltages (one for output tube and one for driver tube), 2 or 3 low voltage sources for the heaters.
If you want to play with fixed bias, you'll need a -ve supply also.

I made my own basic setup out of leftover/scrap parts.

HV is a variac connected to an old 360-0-360 tube TV transformer through a CLC with 500V rated caps. IIRC it's good for around 150ma and around 450V.

-ve bias is a small transformer (around 44V I think) with a CRC filter and a simple pot to give up to about -60VDC bias.

The two square illuminated buttons turn on the HV or bias supplies.

A filament transformer that is 12.6V-0-12.6V with all 3 taps on the front panel to provide either 6.3 or 12.6VDC.

The variac also controls the mains VAC on the receptacle for powering up stuff slowly. That feature is used the most by far........

Low-Tech, but works fine for my needs.

EDIT: Here is a fancier one by Pete Millett.....tube regulated

http://www.pmillett.com/HV_bench_supply.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bench power.JPG (646.2 KB, 295 views)

Last edited by boywonder; 11th March 2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11th March 2013, 04:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Agree with aardvarkash10 on the BIG old oscilloscope transformer. I have one from a 545 Tektronix, and it has a lot of relatively low voltage (2x 115V, 138V, some more) secondaries and about 5 or 6 6,3V windings with lots of A. I connected the HV secondaries (noticing phase) to a Euro barrier strip, allowing for series connection.

To use these I made 4 individual power supplies. Each power supply consists of a bridge rectifier and two stacked elco's (with bleeding R), allowing it to operate both as 'bridge' as 'voltage doubler'. Each elco is 250V, so I aim for a max of 450V DC. I use a LR8N3 together with a big 300k wirewound 10 turn pot to set output voltage up to ~420V. This output voltage feeds the gate of a 600V NFET, that operates as pass device. I blew-up two of these FETS due to the lack of a short circuit protection, but it shouldn't be hard to implement one.

For operation I feed the (series connected) HV secondary which is most suitable for the desided output voltage to the PS board, to reduce heat dissipation on the heatsink.

As artosalo said: working with NFETS can indeed make for quite a compact build.
Old 11th March 2013, 07:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I really don't want to build a PS.
Old 11th March 2013, 08:32 PM   #7
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Finding a power supply that will meet all your needs will likely be a challenge. Maybe someone knows of an old tube supply that'll work. But I suspect you'll end up with one supply for the high voltage and a couple for the various filament voltages.

A Sorensen QRD 20-4 would be ideal for filaments. I have a QRD 40-2 (40 V, 2 A). I think I paid an entire $30 for it...

The B+ supply, I'd make from a HV transformer and a variac like Boywonder suggests. It takes about 15 minutes to solder the rectifier parts together and strap them to a piece of plywood. BAM! Done.

~Tom
Old 11th March 2013, 08:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

What is the difference between Heath IP-17 and SP-2717A ?
Old 11th March 2013, 08:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The B+ supply, I'd make from a HV transformer and a variac like Boywonder suggests. It takes about 15 minutes to solder the rectifier parts together and strap them to a piece of plywood. BAM! Done.
Since you put it that way, I might do that.
Old 11th March 2013, 08:40 PM   #10
lexx21 is offline lexx21  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a Heathkit variable supply myself. Tube regulated and works great. I recapped it and replaced a few resistors when I got it. I also had to retube it as there were a few bad tubes, but now it works like a champ.

If you do get a Heathkit, I would suggest that you add a choke that can handle 200ma. The output isn't "dead quiet" as you would probably like, however it does get the job done until you want to build your own supply for your amp.

Hide this!Advertise here!