Fisher 500C C82/C84 ceramic capacitor function - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2013, 06:36 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fisher 500C C82/C84 ceramic capacitor function

Looking at the 500C schematic, I'm wondering what's the real purpose of these low value 18pF ceramic capacitors (C82 & C84) between the phase splitter AC coupling capacitor and the 1k resistor on the 7591A grid since the upper half of the amp doesn't have these RF decoupling perhaps but why just the lower half? TIA
Old 11th March 2013, 01:41 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitachi_nut View Post
Looking at the 500C schematic, I'm wondering what's the real purpose of these low value 18pF ceramic capacitors (C82 & C84) between the phase splitter AC coupling capacitor and the 1k resistor on the 7591A grid since the upper half of the amp doesn't have these RF decoupling perhaps but why just the lower half? TIA
This is just a guess since I can only see the schematic and not the actual wiring layout... The small capacitor (it's 10pf in my schematic) either squelches an ultrasonic oscillation or squelches some RF detection. RF detection problems are usually more prevalent in the earlier amplification stages, so my best guess is squelching an oscillation. Why only only one half? Again only a guess, but I'll be wiring differences (length of wires, etc.) make the other half more immune to the problem. This sure looks like a "band-aid" so solve a problem, and if the capacitor values changed over time, it's even more likely a band-aid...

Hide this!Advertise here!