questions about some sim software - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2013, 04:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default questions about some sim software

Ok, the big two seem to be Circuit Maker (6, 2000, Pro) and Lt Spice. Of those, witch one works better for Valve circuits? Most features, accuracy, ease of use, user interface.
Also, I've been reading as many post as possible on this subject and I see a reference to "Curve Captor", how does it work? What can it do?
I like the idea that CM can output to a PCB program(Traxmaker) that seems to have features similar to Eagle.

So, what do you like and use? Why?
Old 9th March 2013, 09:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You can try Simetrix, free but somewhat limited version available at:

Analog, mixed signal circuit simulation software tool, SIMetrix, SIMPLIS, Micron VX, DVM
Old 9th March 2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Svein_B is offline Svein_B  Norway
diyAudio Member

Unless you already have some good reasons to select something else, I recommend to go with LtSpice - Linear Technology - Design Simulation and Device Models

This is what most people here use, so support is close at hand.
Most tube models are for LtSpice (other SPICE software use slightly different model syntax)
It is supported and updated by supplier. Runs on latest Windows versions.
Free, without any limitations or restrictions

SveinB.
Old 9th March 2013, 12:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

That is about what I thought. LtSpice is the more modern program. Now what about Curve Captor? How does it work and what exactly can you do with it? I only know a very little about it.
Old 9th March 2013, 05:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Vacuum tube modeling software - beta testers wanted
Old 14th March 2013, 02:14 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

+1 LinksGuru - SIMetrix is much better than LTSpice - much more "modern" and can run with several variants of SPICE models - try that with LTSpice...

Curve Captor is not a full blown simulation program, it only does limited circuit simulations for triode only, although it is very good for building triode SPICE models.

Jaz
Old 14th March 2013, 02:50 AM   #7
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Ltspice is not node limited, is supported actively as it is used internally by Linear for IC development - bug fixes can happen in days, to a few weeks

it is "an engineer's Spice" - not a production schematic drafting tool - the interface is "flat" on purpose

reading the Simetrix demo page - the free version doesn't allow HSpice or Verilog

so it sounds like there isn't an advantage - certainly not one worth the fewer diyAudio users that will be able to help/share sims with you
Old 14th March 2013, 04:05 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
Ltspice is not node limited, is supported actively as it is used internally by Linear for IC development - bug fixes can happen in days, to a few weeks

it is "an engineer's Spice" - not a production schematic drafting tool - the interface is "flat" on purpose

reading the Simetrix demo page - the free version doesn't allow HSpice or Verilog

so it sounds like there isn't an advantage - certainly not one worth the fewer diyAudio users that will be able to help/share sims with you
For the variant SPICE models, I had little trouble with various tube models found on the net, be it .mod, .inc, .txt, etc. Simply drop the models onto the SIMetrix control panel and associate it with a symbol, and they are good to go - much more intuitive than LTSpice... Can't argue with you on the popularity of LTSpice, using SIMetrix is just my personal preference - I guess I just do not like "flatness" of LTSpice

Jaz

Last edited by jazbo8; 14th March 2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old 14th March 2013, 10:18 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Both sound interesting. I will look int the cost of Simetrix But I am currently intent on learning Lt Spice
Old 14th March 2013, 08:47 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

LTSpice works nicely in a Linux environment using Wine.

Andreas

Hide this!Advertise here!