Tube Sound Processor - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2013, 06:49 PM   #11
tomchr is online now tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

There's a fair amount of tube emulation circuits showing up in guitar amps and such. Some of them are quite good.

There seems to be two different approaches:
- DSP modeling
- Solid state circuits that create a harmonic structure similar to that of a tube.

These models/emulators seem to do a good job of modeling the effects of the tube transfer characteristic, but often not such a good job of modeling the effects of OPT saturation, etc. For hifi purposes, it wouldn't surprise me if one could design a tube emulator circuit that would get you 90 % of the "tube sound" for 10 % of the cost of a tube amp.

A tube emulator still wouldn't be as pretty as a well-excecuted tube amp, though.

~Tom
Old 29th July 2013, 11:50 AM   #12
ja2dhc is offline ja2dhc  Japan
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ja2dhc Send a message via MSN to ja2dhc Send a message via Yahoo to ja2dhc
I measured the distortion characteristics as shown in the
attached photo.

I use Class-D amplifier for the final power amp. This amp uses
Tripath's TA2024 with DC15V power supply.

THD =2%@1W is the worst data among my home brew amplifiers
as is a successful result of the objective of Tube Sound Processor.

'73 de JA2DHC[/QUOTE]
Attached Images
File Type: gif Dist-Graph.gif (16.3 KB, 60 views)
Old 29th July 2013, 12:04 PM   #13
Sprags is offline Sprags  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja2dhc View Post
What is the TUBE SOUND ?
That would be a shame if some lame developer thought they could develop an app to simulate 'tube sound' for an MP3 tune to be filtered through on an iPhone or iPad. And you could select what type of tube sound. Push-Pull KT88 or 6550, SE 300B or 2A3....hmmm. Don't get them started.
Old 29th July 2013, 12:20 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Some people like distortion and may call it 'tube sound'. They often deny this. They may obtain the sound they prefer by misusing valves, but possibly not realising that this is what they are doing.

Others like valves for other reasons, and know that when used properly their distortion is sufficiently low that it will be inaudible and so can be ignored. Mostly, they dislike 'tube sound' as a phrase.
Lets have two people who need glasses.
They are looking at a fine art painting.

One of them wears thick distorted glasses. This person is the tube sound.
The other person wears thin high tech contacts.

I would rather be the person with the high tech contacts that allows me to see the picture more the way its viewed with pure eyes, then with some form of distortion thats "Warmer" that technically, and logically, distorts the image.

Why would a distorted image be a better thing then an undistorted image?
You want accuracy, extremely low distortion, high response, hi fidelity.
Old 29th July 2013, 12:30 PM   #15
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

For the same reason as Monet's Water Lilies generates more emotion than the photograph of the same nature scene...
Old 29th July 2013, 12:34 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Exactly. You want to look at the image with as little possible distortion between you and the image.
Adding distortion, even it it sounds more pleasing to the ear, is STILL ADDING DISTORTION.
Old 29th July 2013, 01:14 PM   #17
ja2dhc is offline ja2dhc  Japan
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ja2dhc Send a message via MSN to ja2dhc Send a message via Yahoo to ja2dhc
The relationship between Distortion and Sound is described
in the following article which is written by Pete Millett.

the Sound of Distortion

My most favorite Tube Sound comes from my 211 SET amp
with Class-A2. This amp was designed by me.
see: 211 SET
(sorry written in Japanese).

Today's sound processor aims to close to 211SET with sound.
Old 29th July 2013, 01:17 PM   #18
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainwulf
One of them wears thick distorted glasses. This person is the tube sound.
Yes. Not me, though. Read what I said.

Quote:
extremely low distortion
Unnecessary, given the distortion from transducers. Low, yes; extremely low, mere specmanship. Pursuing one parameter to the nth degree will usually, in real engineering, mean too much compromise on other parameters.
Old 29th July 2013, 01:22 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Sorry i generalised the parameters that a hi-fi person wants.

There is a whole whack of numbers in the parameters of an audio amp. You either want zero, 1, or infinity for each one of those parameters.

I understand that transducers cause distortion. You cant escape that, but thats no reason to accept distortion in an amplifier, then call it "tube sound".
Old 29th July 2013, 02:00 PM   #20
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainwulf
There is a whole whack of numbers in the parameters of an audio amp. You either want zero, 1, or infinity for each one of those parameters.
Gain? Typically around 20.

Bandwidth? Must be restricted at both LF and HF ends to avoid problems - only a fool wants a 'DC to daylight' amplifier, unless he is running off batteries in the middle of a desert.

Output impedance? Zero could increase RF pickup on cables by making them a better resonator.

No, your approach (if you really believe what you said) is naive and oversimplistic.

Hide this!Advertise here!