SSR switching HT transformer? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2013, 08:03 PM   #1
Matt BH is offline Matt BH  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default SSR switching HT transformer?

Hello, I have been thinking about using an SSR to switch the primary of my GM70 projects HT transformer. I have just noticed in MJs latest book that he says he is not sure about this because of problems during the zero crossing (page 415 "the switch-on surge")

Has anyone had any problems using an SSR or other triac/dual SCR type switching device in an amp?

Also I always thought that switch on surge was greatest if you switch on at the zero point because the waveform is rising in which ever direction and the current very rapidly increases to the peak dictated by wiring impedance etc. Morgan Jones states it is at the peak on either side of zero but I can see the current only going down from this point.

Cheers

Matt.

Last edited by Matt BH; 1st March 2013 at 08:23 PM. Reason: triac doh.
Old 1st March 2013, 09:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you switch at zero voltage, the voltage across the primary and the primary current rise with the sinusoidal waveform of the mains.

Switching on at any other instant applies a large voltage across the primary *instantly*, leading to a switch-on surge.

So switching at the zero crossing of the mains is best. You can get SSR that automatically detect the zero crossing and switch then, usually they are only slightly more expensive than the randomly switching ones. Worth the money.

Regards,
Andreas
Old 1st March 2013, 09:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Major manufacturers utilize a soft start relay and a high wattage 22R in series with the primary. When the mains is applied the 22R series resistor limits the current and a simple RC timer turns the relay on shorting out the resistor.
Very successful on high powered amplifiers and cheap!
Old 1st March 2013, 09:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.B.H. View Post
Hello, I have been thinking about using an SSR to switch the primary of my GM70 projects HT transformer. I have just noticed in MJs latest book that he says he is not sure about this because of problems during the zero crossing (page 415 "the switch-on surge")
How is that different from randomly throwing a switch?

Hide this!Advertise here!