knight kb-85 restoration/mod - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2013, 04:28 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default knight kb-85 restoration/mod

I was wanting to get something from my late friend Charles Kittleson's estate sale on the auction site; wound up with a Knight KB-85. Researching it I noted that many people were subbing 6L6 types for the rare EL-37s originally used. However the tube manuals indicate that the EL-37s were replaced by EL-34's. Sure enough the ratings are virtually identical. Triode electronics had the schematic; it is the classic 5-20 x 2; in fact there are 10 tubes on the amp. This is NOT your Stereo 70; the transformers are HUGE and it has dual rectifiers and a choke filtering the B+. Whoa the fuse was missing; but oh well lets stick a new one in and crank the Variac. 490 volts on the plates, and the bias was spot on the schematic values.

Plan is to re-cap it anyway; with snap-ons for the plate supply and a couple of PCBs mounting the smaller caps. Will run the stock circuit and get baseline measurements but that huge dual 5AR4 power supply is just begging me to run 6550s fixed bias from a low mu phase splitter.
Old 1st March 2013, 05:11 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

It sounds like you got your hands on a nice old amplifier. The best amplifier (subjectively) that I ever built used transformers from a Knight integrated amp. The transformers were huge and very high quality. The circuit was very modern even by today's standards, although I built it over 30 years ago. The amplifier that I scavenged worked fine when I gutted it, but the amplifier that I built worked a whole lot better.
Old 1st March 2013, 06:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The KB-85 schematic is also here. Yes, that setup strongly resembles the 5-20, down to an identical small signal complement.

The mention of big "iron" and a quick look at the EL37 data sheet has me thinking the 6550/KT88 idea may be good. Measure the end to end impedance of the O/P "iron" and post the number. If that # is approx. 3.2 KOhms, the big "beamie" looks real good. OTOH, if the # is approx. 4 KOhms, the EL34/6CA7/KT77 group may be best.

As it is obvious that corners were not cut in the KB-85, all sorts of options present themselves. IMO, perhaps the most interesting implementation of Mullard style topology is the H/K Cit. 5, with its emphasis on high gm small signal types. The supply of 12BY7s is dwindling. However, a 6922 in cascode will yield equivalent gm/gain and there's always the CCS in the LTP tail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cit. 5 #1.jpg (343.5 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg Cit. 5 #2.jpg (299.6 KB, 220 views)

Last edited by Eli Duttman; 1st March 2013 at 06:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 1st March 2013, 03:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have an H/K Cinco; in fact there was a screaming deal going down for another one at the same time as Charlie's amp; the Cinco went for less than $450 less than 2 minutes after I hit the bid button with less than 2 seconds to spare on the Knight. This Knight was a better deal; and it appears that it is even a runner and it has the tube cage. Charlie used to love having me bring my MI-200s to run his Maggies at his place; this amp is a fitting tribute.
Old 5th March 2013, 02:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The sovtek 5AR4's came in from Yen Audio; completing the tube complement of winged C EL34's; Amperex EF86's and American 12AX7's. On to the bench for some base line measurements. Power is about 40WPC; power BW goes down to 25 Hz and up to 20kHz. Damping is very high. There is a lot of tendency for the amp to break out in high frequency oscillations, at the higher power levels. I managed to tame that down by switching the phase inverters to 12AT7's. The above measurements are with the 12AT7's.
Old 5th March 2013, 02:57 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Russian 5AR4s are quite capable of delivering the rated 250 mA., but they can get into trouble at the top of the type's voltage range. The uploaded pictorial (not original to me) shows a very effective tweak. The only thing I would do differently is using UF4007s, as they generate FAR less switching noise than 1N4007s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tuberectifier-diodemod.jpg (141.4 KB, 164 views)
Old 6th March 2013, 03:05 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks. Of course I have the UF 4007's. I have the 1200V SiC Schottkeys as well. A problem tho will be the nature of that power supply; losing the delay of the 5AR4s will allow a surge. My recap will bump the rating of the main plate caps to 700V.
Old 6th March 2013, 03:25 AM   #8
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hmm, I think Eli's suggestion simply improves the voltage handling of the 5AR4 by placing the solid state diodes in series with the rectifier plates. You will still get the identical slow-start that the tube diode provides. I have used this identical setup in several amps.
Old 6th March 2013, 06:02 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hmm, I think Eli's suggestion simply improves the voltage handling of the 5AR4 by placing the solid state diodes in series with the rectifier plates. You will still get the identical slow-start that the tube diode provides.
Correct! The "sand" diodes provide some additional PIV headroom. PIV headroom is the area where Russian 5AR4s can come up short. Performance of the composite, both sonic and turn on, is COMPLETELY dominated by the vacuum rectifier.
Old 7th March 2013, 04:18 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

My apologies I did not closely review the diagram. Actually the turn OFF is most dominated by the vacuum diode which must momentarily shoulder the entire load while the sand gets its act together. The SiC diodes since they are majority carrier devices do not have the transition noise of standard diodes. Actually that is a moot point though because the BEST thing to do is to run TV damper diodes. There is plenty of room in that huge chassis to add a filament transformer and the dampers are AMERICAN and inexpensive. I like 6AU4's.

Hide this!Advertise here!