Tube Amplifier Builder's Competition - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2013, 06:53 PM   #1
Rodango is offline Rodango  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Rodango Send a message via Yahoo to Rodango
Default Tube Amplifier Builder's Competition

I was wondering if any clubs in the Northwest USA had tube amp builders competitions. I would imagine that such an event would be judged by well known audio experts and that folks could enter, demo and get judged on their best builds.

Anything like that out there?
Old 4th March 2013, 05:05 AM   #2
midmoe is offline midmoe  United States
diyAudio Member

hi, I wish there were and maybe something could be done about starting one. I am the guy who's built the monoblock circlotrons with 3X3-6550s in the output stage and I think I'd be able to compete. I'm in the midwest though. plus, I would need to get the high impedance systems going for any demo, but sounds fine on my modified bose 901's wired in series, with two 18" subs tied in with high impedance low passes. Also have three ribbon tweeters per side, on top of the boses. A special set of 250ohm to 8ohm transformers could be made up for max power, but I'm going for an OTL topology, so raising speaker system impedance is the way to go...What have you got? I visited to washinton state area about 7 years ago and loved it.... If the whole event could be made totally trustworthy, with bonded personel working the contest, perhaps amps could be mailed in, and uncrated , judged, then re-shipped back to owners. They would have to be ear tested with matching or same speakers of course (with power,distortion and freq. sweep equip. as final testing)...with a small entry fee to defray costs of contest....perhaps the management personel of DIY could be such individuals..??...midmoe

Last edited by midmoe; 4th March 2013 at 05:19 AM. Reason: addition to post
Old 20th March 2013, 11:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Im in
Old 21st March 2013, 12:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

That would be bad a$$. Different classes master,expert, advanced, novice, beginner. Yeah I like the idea!
Old 21st March 2013, 12:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

hmm but there would be some issues as everything would be very subjective, cause im sure some people would just measure freq responce and distortion to give a verdict rather than listening to how musical the amp itself is. So i think some thing like what triode festival in europe has going on with their "shoot out" would work nicely but i dont want to fly to germany just to compete. A blind listening room with a 3rd party non competer handling set up and stuff and blind voting of the comunity. Something home bound in the US would be very nice. I am also unsure about the class system, as I have seen many an amp built by some no name talented person compare very well against big names, and again most of it is subjective again. Again of course no SS allowed (hahaha)
link to the triode fest shootout.
European Triode Festival - ETF2009 Shootout
Old 11th January 2014, 10:56 AM   #6
Rodango is offline Rodango  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Rodango Send a message via Yahoo to Rodango
Anyone else have some input for this? I see the competition being in Seattle or Portland with someone who could loan some very high-end source, interconnects and speakers. The competition would be officiated by three judges who would not be able to see the equipment in play as the amps were rotated through...
Old 11th January 2014, 02:48 PM   #7
wicked1 is offline wicked1  United States
diyAudio Member

The USA is big. If this is realistic, it should be somewhere more central so those in the northeast and midwest don't have so far to go. And it should be more of a full DIY audio festival w/ sub-areas, such as the speaker shootout, and the tube shootout, and the SS shootout. Get enough interested, we could rent a big room in vegas.. that's why that place exists.
Old 11th January 2014, 02:53 PM   #8
Banned

I think it should be in Toronto, not as cool as Vegas, just closer to me.
Old 11th January 2014, 03:17 PM   #9
Magz is online now Magz  United States
diyAudio Member

I think it should be in my house, 'cause there's no way I'm even attempting to ship the Midlife Crises anywhere!

;-)
Old 11th January 2014, 05:55 PM   #10
wicked1 is offline wicked1  United States
diyAudio Member

That's my thought, too. people would have to drive.
Imagine picking up your amp to waist height and dropping it on concrete. That much of a drop is basically guaranteed if you ship it.
Since we're all being selfish now, I vote for somewhere in Missouri.. it's literally the middle of the country, and then I won't have to drive far

Hide this!Advertise here!