Tube kits - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2013, 10:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tube kits

Hi all,
First post here and i have been looking around for a set of kits that I can build up over time into a good Hi Fi system. I am a rookie to the mysteries of electronic theory but am excited by it. I can solder and have built small kits before with some success.My choices seem to be here in UK WAD or Audionote I would like to build a Phono for MM and MC, a Preamp with provision for tape in/out for my Revox, and Power amp (Monoblocks or integrated) at around 45 Watts per channel possibly even doubling up for Bi amping in the future. As stated above the kits that I like are available here for example Audionote, I like the builders manual and help that they provide for customers and the fact that their products are black which will sit well with my environment. WAD have some products that I like also but I have no idea of their build manual as it is not published like Audionotes. and their fascias are silver which I dont like (Could make new ones) so I am not sure if I would be capable of success. I am a retired aeronautical engineer and can follow concise instructions but not read schematics.Any views or advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 27th February 2013, 07:10 PM   #2
cobra is offline cobra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

the wad stuff has good instructions there is a forum to help
should you need it World-Designs-Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Old 27th February 2013, 07:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

" I would like to build a Phono for MM and MC"

Assuming a single TT that you swap carts. on, build a nice MM level setup and add a step up transformer box for the LOMC cartridges.

Google NEETS, which is U.S. Navy training materials. NEETS will get you started in acquiring the theoretical foundation you currently lack. The Physics you had to have studied in becoming an aeronautical engineer should be of benefit. Dig the old texts up, if you still have them. If you have easy access to a collegiate library, the 1st or 2nd edition of "Basic Electronics for Scientists" by James Brophy is definitely worth reading, in detail.

Hide this!Advertise here!