Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2013, 03:52 AM   #1
djef is offline djef  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Suggest a preamp project for me.

I'm looking to make a preamp from scratch to drive a pair of MC30s. Would anyone have a suggestion for a circuit? I really just need it as a phono pre with maybe some simple tone controls.
Old 27th February 2013, 03:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I built the preamp from DIYaudioprojects.com I used primarily recycled parts, all of which i sourced and soldered together into a nice little line stage. I am very happy with it and I am planning on building the RIAA phono pre from the same designer. If desired, tone controls can be added but I would build it as is and see how you like it first. It uses 12AX7A variants so tubes should be no problem to source or roll. If you are handy at all you can make these little things perform. Hope this helps.
Old 27th February 2013, 05:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Have you tried with the pre-amplifier of the Mullard 5-10 design?

Click the image to open in full size.

Mullard 5-10. Ten Watt Amplifier
Old 27th February 2013, 07:37 PM   #4
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
My first decent system had a pair of mc30s. For me they had plenty of power with just a passive preamp. Maybe just build a phono preamp and box it with an attenuator and an input selector. Check out the Simplistic njfet riaa by salas.

Evan
Old 28th February 2013, 02:30 AM   #5
djef is offline djef  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Lopez View Post
Have you tried with the pre-amplifier of the Mullard 5-10 design?

Click the image to open in full size.

Mullard 5-10. Ten Watt Amplifier
This looks like great project. I might do this. This is for my phono setup however. Will I need to incorporate RIAA circuitry somehow?
Old 28th February 2013, 03:47 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The Mullard is certainly classic, but not really a preamp in the modern sense of the term. It's from the days of ceramic phono cartridges, crystal AM tuners, and a very high required sensitivity. Today a preamp, for those who still spin wax, has two parts, a phono equalizer (that brings the tiny output from a modern phono cartridge up to line levels) and a line stage (that selects between various line level sources, has gain control and sometimes tone controls, and usually has some flat gain of its own, maybe 10 or 20 dB).

For DIY and especially for a first project, these might be considered to be two separate gigs. As has already been suggested, the line stage might be made "passive", without a gain stage, just to get your feet wet, leaving room to add the gain if desired later. The MC30 has a high sensitivity, so is a good candidate for this.

A good phono stage is much more difficult to get right, so might be saved for later. Just some thoughts.

All good fortune,
Chris
Old 11th May 2013, 09:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Trafomatic phono reference one apparently is wonderful. One of my next projects. Schematic on sixmoons.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11th May 2013, 10:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

As a starter I'm thinking of building Eli Duttmans' version of the RCA phono schematic.
Full_Tweaked_RCA_Phono_Stage10.jpg

Last edited by Soonerorlater; 11th May 2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12th May 2013, 02:10 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

A phono preamp is not a simple project. Definitely look before you leap.

JMO, the tweaked RCA setup is good, without being highly complicated. Those folks who've built the setup are happy. I've uploaded a graphic for a cost effective PSU that's quite suitable.

Contact member Jeff Yourison to obtain the benefit of his construction experience.
Attached Images
File Type: gif RCA_Hybrid_phonostage_PS2.gif (110.4 KB, 101 views)
Old 12th May 2013, 09:21 AM   #10
mach1 is offline mach1  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
. Trafomatic phono reference one apparently is wonderful. One of my next projects. Schematic on sixmoons.
I wonder why the designer uses parallel resistors everywhere, with 4 on the 6N6P cathodes?

Hide this!Advertise here!