• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Audio Magazine

I'd buy all of them from 1947 till it's 2000 demise if I could get it.
You would be wasting a good amount of money. With the exception of the Fall Annual Product Review issues, everything after about 1980 was pretty much useless. No schematics and few technical articles. And with reviewers like Leonard Feldman telling us that all amplifiers sound the same, and any manufacturers that advertised in the magazine always getting a good review, They were a far cry from the good old days. No more Q&A columns either. The only exception was perhaps Bascom King who would at least give a technical description of the circuit. IMO, only the ones from the 1950's and 60's were worth saving.

I learned a good deal from some of the articles in Audio in the mid-late 70's, including the circuit breakdowns of products under review. The construction projects were cool, too, with several neat circuits from Pass and Leach. One of my longest-running amps (built in 1979) was based on a Leach circuit garnered from Audio.

Audio Anthology

Many articles from the early daze of Audio Magazine were reproduced as 'Audio Anthology', a six volume set produced by Audio Amateur / Glass Audio magazine in the early 1990s. A very useful resource. Probably still some for sale, haven't checked recently.:)

Reactions: 1 user
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Many articles from the early daze of Audio Magazine were reproduced as 'Audio Anthology', a six volume set produced by Audio Amateur / Glass Audio magazine in the early 1990s. A very useful resource. Probably still some for sale, haven't checked recently.:)

Are you sure it is not 'Audiocraft Magazine' that was re-issued by Audio Amateur? I have that set, it actually is three volumes.

Jan

Are you sure it is not 'Audiocraft Magazine' that was re-issued by Audio Amateur? I have that set, it actually is three volumes.

Jan

Fortunately there are reprints of many of the historic books & other information. I bought this set soon as it became available about 20 yrs ago.:)

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    975.7 KB · Views: 310
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 308

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Be considerate of David "WorldRadioHistory" Gleason's bandwidth.

I have a couple gigs of his but it has taken a couple years to read maybe half of it. There is NO reason to force rapid downloads. I set my mass-downloader to slowest settings and even a 20 minute wait between files. In a couple days it fetches a gig, without hammering his server or blocking other clients.

I had a single "plastic tiger" amp that I built when I was a teen. Used it to power a sub, which I believe was some Utah 12" in an EV aristocrat cab. 1974?

I remember the special washers that "MUST be used to attach the heatsinks" or the plastic transistor cases would crack. I wasnt much better at plastic model building; white silicon HS paste all over the pcb...