Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2003, 02:06 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mozikluv
Default tube amp recommendation

hi everybody,

am planning to change amp and i would like to go for tube amps. could anyone recommend some brands that i could look into. the power i want is in the range of 120 - 150w.

any recommendation would be highly appreciated and pls. indicate if you had experience in using the recommended amp especially the not so nice part like what you dont like about that amp. am not very interested with the good features like the what the manufacturer points out. they are all marketing hype. what am really interested is the down to earth assessment.

also pls recommend tube pre-amps.

am crossing my finger that whatever recomm you make is available here in my country.

thanx in advance
Old 22nd November 2003, 08:33 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Have a crack at MacIntosh (US) ; I get alot of flannel in the post about their amps. However, the price may discourage you. There may be a sales office where you are.
There is also a Dutch make called Vandermelle or something sim. I have repaired too many of their amps so that gets cold water poured on.

The other solution IS TO MAKE ONE. What construct ability do you have ? Are you ok with 500V DC and have access to test equipment and mechanical workshop ?

Transformer manufacturers are around in the UK and US/Jp.
In the UK you should be aiming for about 500 for two (stereo) 100W transformers suitable for KT88/6550 tubes. The 6550 is a poor mans KT88, but runs fine. 150W power bracket is serious stuff and ends up with multiple pairs or triplet output stages. The cost goes up also square law.

rich

rich
Old 22nd November 2003, 09:03 AM   #3
SHiFTY is offline SHiFTY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

120-150W is a lot of power. Is this for a bar or something?

Normal listening reqires 1-10 watts usually, tube amps are best for this.
Old 22nd November 2003, 04:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

A 50 Watt tube amp can sound pretty loud, alot of people get on better with this than 100W.
If you change your mind, and go for construction, then the 3 stage GEC KT88-50W amp gives very creditable results.

rich
Old 22nd November 2003, 09:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ShiFtY
120-150W is a lot of power. Is this for a bar or something?

Normal listening reqires 1-10 watts usually, tube amps are best for this.
If you really need 150W, then you really need some speakers with decent efficiency.
Old 23rd November 2003, 06:06 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

All is very quiet...I wonder if he has changed his mind.. yet ?
Old 23rd November 2003, 09:21 AM   #7
ansil is offline ansil  United States
diyAudio Member

there is no reason to use that much wattage for a tube amp.. are you trying to run the whole venue from your guitar amp??

if you want one that sounds good check out this.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/dbhammond/FireFly_sch.gif

http://dhammond_1.tripod.com/FireFlyBoost.mp3
http://dhammond_1.tripod.com/FireFly.mp3
Old 24th November 2003, 01:26 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mozikluv
Default tube amp recommendation

hello hello,

hey guys am still here and am still interested with your recommendation and comments. so far, 2 brands have been mentioned. come on guys give me somemore info

i know that the power i mentioned was high but i could settle for 50w to 80w. this amp is going to be my personal use in my music room.

my budget for the preamp and amp is between $2,500 to $3,000. i know prices of good and reliable units are really high. so i have prepared for that.

pls. give more infos, thanx
Old 24th November 2003, 01:49 AM   #9
HDTVman is offline HDTVman  United States
diyAudio Member

You want a recommendation. How about a pair of Dynaco MKIIIs off ebay and rebuilding them and a PAS preamp to go with it.

That's a good old 60 watt mono amp with great mod potential. The PAS preamp is a classic also with a ton of different mods out there.

You should be able to get those for much less than the dollar figure quoted and have money leftover for good tubes and upgrades.

If you want new all I can say is good luck and go listen to some equipment if you can. It's the only way to really tell if you will like it or not.

Myself, I'd buy the old stuff and work it over. It's just more cost effective and quicker too.

Later BZ

Hide this!Advertise here!