• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Using only half of a stereo PP amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Safe use of half of a stereo PP amp?

I have a stereo push-pull power amp but I only want to use one side, and it is not a dual-monoblock, ie I can't just power down half of it. Is it safe to just pull the tubes on one side without a load connected? Or should I disconnect the B+ from the output trans also?

The negative of the speaker terminals is grounded if that matters. Also I'd be pulling the PI for that side. The heaters are A/C powered so I expect they will still be within spec. I ran sims in Duncan's PSU designer and the only side-effect is half the ripple. :D

Forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question, but I'd rather live to ask two stupid questions than die because I didn't ask one.

EDIT: The schem shows one of the two identical channels.

Attachments

• Mesa 2x100W amp.jpg
    Mesa 2x100W amp.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Well Mesa themselves say you can remove a pair from each side to make it a 2x50w amp but that also would mean the tubes would be presented with exactly half of the originally intended load impedance, and that doesn't appeal to me. I don't really need a stereo rig and 2x100w is WAY too much power for my needs, so really my goal here is to turn it into a single 100w amp, and not have four 6l6 and a 12ax7 just sitting there wasting electricity and creating heat while not being used.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.