Hybrid headphone amp..... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2013, 07:21 PM   #1
stenak is offline stenak  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Hybrid headphone amp.....

I think I will build myself a new headphone amp. Found this on....
NP-100v12: DIY 12AU7 (ECC82) Tube / IRF510 MOSFET Headphone Amplifier, and I wonder...Is it ok to use a pair of IRF 520, instead of tne 510, who is used in this project?
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:14 AM   #2
roline is offline roline  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Tube-Mosfet hybrid headphone amp

I went a little different route on my first hybrid amp, Schematic attached. I have a bunch of compactron tubes to play with.
I have another design in process that runs off of 24 V and uses the tubes heaters for the pull down device for the mosfet pull up. I figure that it will run at about a 12Volt average output voltage, so the heaters will have 12VDC with AC ripple on them, it should only be a few volts P-P. With 12AU7 tubes the output current would be around 150ma and with 12BH7's would raise it to about 300ma.
It would be non linear if used with a large swing. I figure only a couple of volts P-P the non linear effects should be minimal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ha1.jpg (96.6 KB, 216 views)
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:16 AM   #3
stenak is offline stenak  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Hybrid headphone amp.

I have a couple of these IRF 520, so I wonder..Do I have to order some 510, 610, etc., for this amp?
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

They, IRF520 Mosfets, are good for 100 V, 9amps and 4 volts max VGS, and 100nA max gate leakage. Sounds like a good match for the application. If you were in a pinch, a darlington NPN can be used. The catch with them is they are sometimes a little unstable and ring.
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenak View Post
I have a couple of these IRF 520, so I wonder..Do I have to order some 510, 610, etc., for this amp?
Yes you can use a very wide options of IRF device there. It is just that the sound quality will be slightly different with IRF520.

You want Ciss as low as IRF610 but transconductance as high as IRF510. IRF520 has higher Ciss than IRF510 (bad) but has higher transconductance (good). And because it is a source follower, usually transconductance is more important than capacitance (as long as not too high).

So I guess IRF520 wont be too far behind. But for headphone amp, expect higher high frequency noise/distortion.
Old 22nd February 2013, 02:21 PM   #6
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenak View Post
I think I will build myself a new headphone amp. Found this on....
NP-100v12: DIY 12AU7 (ECC82) Tube / IRF510 MOSFET Headphone Amplifier, and I wonder...Is it ok to use a pair of IRF 520, instead of tne 510, who is used in this project?
Interesting design. One observation is that wall warts generally are not low ripple per-se. Additional filtering might be in order.

I don't use headphones because I wear hearing aids. If I put headphones on they whistle.

I've been wondering if anyone has designed an active filter to compensate for their hearing loss so that they can use headphones without using their hearing aids? I've searched a few times on the net, but only find hits for hearing aids and Personal Sound Amplifiers.
Old 22nd February 2013, 03:09 PM   #7
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Isn't the IRF520 essentially two 510 dies assembled in parallel in the same package?
Old 13th March 2013, 03:08 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Tube MosFet Hybrid Head-Phone Amp

Latest Tube Mosfet headphone amp is up and working. It is configured like a simple opamp and runs on a 24V wall-wart PS. The tube heaters are the current sink for the output, so with 12AU7 tubes, 160mA, 12BH7's about 300mA. They drive 24 Ohm Sony cans with authority, the 12BH7's can bias up a small set of speakers. The LED's are part of the CCS bias and will be placed under the tubes.
The heaters are biased at 12.7V with a little AC ripple on them. Only adjustment is the CCS bias for the LTP input stage, 6mA, 3/tube and the offset adjustment for tube heater set point. So far a fun little project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg head_amp_10.jpg (340.7 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg headamp-12bh7.jpg (474.5 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg head_amp_5.jpg (478.7 KB, 94 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!