6v6 SE kit - any good? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2013, 08:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default 6v6 SE kit - any good?

Is there anybody out there who had built those cheap kits (6v6 SE) from Siliconray or Wowhifi. How does the amps sounds and perform. And how does the supplier/seller perform. 240 USD for a complete kit, -sounds to good to be true?
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 01:39 AM   #2
heavil is offline heavil  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member
 
heavil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Orel Russia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductionist View Post
Is there anybody out there who had built those cheap kits (6v6 SE) from Siliconray or Wowhifi. How does the amps sounds and perform. And how does the supplier/seller perform. 240 USD for a complete kit, -sounds to good to be true?
Link?

Per set for the amplifier without housing and transformer, this price may well be adequate.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 10:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
The price is for complete kits, including housing and transformer, -the whole lot!! Thats why i was asking this forum for any who eventually bought and built these amps. See www.wowhifi.com or www.siliconray.com. Single ended 2x5w up to 2x12w.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 11:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Siliconray looks decent but strangely shipping for kits is twice what they charge for assembled amp so you may be better off with SA-22 Single Ended HiFi Tube Amplifier SA-01 - Boards | Kits | Components | Modules | Tools at $280 + 45 shipping and then modify it if required.
On the other hand, you may be able to source slightly better parts within Europe for the same money and build one of the form's favourites but likely without the enclosure included in the sum.

Last edited by dovla; 21st February 2013 at 12:01 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 12:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductionist View Post
Is there anybody out there who had built those cheap kits (6v6 SE) from Siliconray or Wowhifi. How does the amps sounds and perform. And how does the supplier/seller perform. 240 USD for a complete kit, -sounds to good to be true?
There is the Vendor Forum with Silicon Ray in it. Check out what others are saying about his stuff over there and other things encountered. This will give you a better overview of his products. so far biggest comments are the shipping, but you are moving 40 pounds of material at times.

From the looks of it, talking to others in a few PM and emails, and from talking to the man himself, I think that his products are a cut above other Chinese manufacturers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 05:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by overtheairbroadcast View Post
There is the Vendor Forum with Silicon Ray in it. Check out what others are saying about his stuff over there and other things encountered. This will give you a better overview of his products. so far biggest comments are the shipping, but you are moving 40 pounds of material at times.

From the looks of it, talking to others in a few PM and emails, and from talking to the man himself, I think that his products are a cut above other Chinese manufacturers.
Well I built the 6l6 version. I also built another SE 6L6 after that with all parts sourced local (USA) and I paid less with better sonics with the local build and I didn't have to wait months for the kit. That said it helped me as it was my first point to point build. So in that respect it was a good experience. If you are getting into point to point and have limited or no build from scratch experience, it's a good place to start. The amp I built actually sounds fairly decent. Expect 5w/ch for the 6L6/6P3S version (which is cheaper I think).
Good beginner kit since it has a nice SS chassis but the iron is nothing to write home about. This kit actually exceeded my expectation as I thought I'd be getting a decent chassis for $140 and I'd have to source everything else... I learned a lot but I also have experience building other electronics. You need to feel comfortable with +400v and know how to stay safe.

Cheers,
Bob
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 07:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Thanks Bob for your interesting reply. Im quite experied in recond. I recently fixed up a Dynaco St-70 in it sounds and looks great. My aim for a kit is that it provides a layout for the components and also pictures that shows where to put what. Just like in the original building manual for the st-70. There are a lot of good shematics on the net and i can easly get the components and hardware here in Sweden. The problem is, and i think i share them with others who want to build, there are wery few layouts provided along with the shematics. The ideal kit for me should be a amp designed as a guitar amp where the components are lined up on a eyelet board, then connected to iron and tubes etc. Better than what iwe seen in some p2p, where caps and resistors more or less are hanging in the air. A amp kit designed like this would be a hit amongst diyrs. Skl.BoC.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 08:29 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductionist View Post
Thanks Bob for your interesting reply. Im quite experied in recond. I recently fixed up a Dynaco St-70 in it sounds and looks great. My aim for a kit is that it provides a layout for the components and also pictures that shows where to put what. Just like in the original building manual for the st-70. There are a lot of good shematics on the net and i can easly get the components and hardware here in Sweden. The problem is, and i think i share them with others who want to build, there are wery few layouts provided along with the shematics. The ideal kit for me should be a amp designed as a guitar amp where the components are lined up on a eyelet board, then connected to iron and tubes etc. Better than what iwe seen in some p2p, where caps and resistors more or less are hanging in the air. A amp kit designed like this would be a hit amongst diyrs. Skl.BoC.
With this kit you get a schematic, chassis (nice one), parts (some not so good) and transformers/choke. Layout is up to you. You could do your own turret board if you like, but it's all point to point. You gotta come up with your own wire scheme, that's where some of the creativity comes in. How are you going to lay it out and make it work.

Cheers,
Bob
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:40 PM   #9
sled108 is offline sled108  United States
diyAudio Member
 
sled108's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Deep in the Heart of North Jersey
I built SiliconRay's 6V6 Pre-Amp which has the same Chassis as the Amp...It is as Bobrown says, you get a Box O' Parts and a Schematic (In Chinese)...But, it's all there and it Works...
Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PreAmp Kit.JPG (76.5 KB, 179 views)
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Let's Talk 1516-6V6 SE 5Wx2 Hifi Tube Amplifier Kit tomlang Siliconray Online Electronics Store 3 12th February 2013 09:20 PM
OPCs The WIRE Latest Generation - PCBs for sale (4x BAL-SE, 1x SE-SE, 1x PSU KIT) fualcr Swap Meet 0 15th February 2012 11:39 PM
6V6 SE VS ECL85 J_Hart_14 Tubes / Valves 22 14th December 2010 01:15 PM
SE 6V6 cathode resistor value bereanbill Tubes / Valves 7 24th May 2009 04:11 PM
6V6 vs EL84 SE UL AudioGeek Tubes / Valves 10 3rd February 2006 11:05 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:04 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2