Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2013, 12:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Capacitor dielectric - high impedance headphones

I recently built the 'Broskie Unbalancer' for use as a preamp, however the vrms of my source is strong enough to power my amplifier so I have removed it from the chain and plan to use it as a headphone amplifier instead.

I am using some Beyerdynamic DT880, which are high impedance @ 600R.
I notice on page 7 of Broskie's documentation he states:

"which with a 1F coupling capacitor will give a -3dB frequency of 11.5Hz. If the BCF is used to drive 300-ohm headphones, a job that the BCF is amazingly good at, at least a 30F coupling capacitor is needed"

Presumably I can get by with around 20F, but there certainly isn't enough space in the chassis/casing or on the board for a film/PIO cap - can anyone suggest another suitable type of capacitor?
Old 17th February 2013, 01:22 AM   #2
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

I believe even polyester/Mylar measured better than Electrolytics in Bateman's tests

but you could get 10x value Al electros for a fraction of the price
Old 17th February 2013, 09:24 AM   #3
hpeter is offline hpeter  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
I believe even polyester/Mylar measured better than Electrolytics in Bateman's tests

but you could get 10x value Al electros for a fraction of the price
afaik polyester are not recommended for audio at all, polypropylene are better
Old 17th February 2013, 09:32 AM   #4
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeter View Post
.... polypropylene are better
ahh... well if nothing else, at least it have been a very reliable goldmine...and as it seems, will go on forever and never dry out

but if they really put their hart into making better polyester caps, I bet they would be the top and that btw was not ironic or a joke

might be more a matter of production quality ...things like clean materials etc
Old 17th February 2013, 10:28 AM   #5
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You need a high voltage electrolytic here. 30uF minimum, 250V. Not much way around that. Look for a good one and bypass it with a film cap.
Old 17th February 2013, 10:37 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
ahh... well if nothing else, at least it have been a very reliable goldmine...and as it seems, will go on forever and never dry out

but if they really put their hart into making better polyester caps, I bet they would be the top and that btw was not ironic or a joke

might be more a matter of production quality ...things like clean materials etc
well, it could be only some opinions from internets, but i looked in families of products from WIMA
some PP caps are audio rated, but none of their PE
Old 17th February 2013, 10:43 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

https://www.distrelec.sk/vrstvov%C3%...-ru-fra/822419
look in datasheet
Old 17th February 2013, 10:47 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

ok thanks, I built this board as a 'paint by numbers' project so don't really know what 'bypass' here means - are you suggesting just soldering a 30uf capacitor on top of the current film cap (0.68uf pio), piggyback style?
Old 17th February 2013, 10:51 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Bypass with film cap with different structure is not good idea for quality of sound for HF and MFreq....Main output cap must be only one and with High quality.
Old 17th February 2013, 01:49 PM   #10
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

If the capacitor has a sufficiently high value that it has low signal voltage across it, even at low frequencies, then it can't generate much distortion no matter how bad a cap it is. 100uF electrolytic would do. You can bypass it if you think this will help.

Hide this!Advertise here!