Practical phase inverter article - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2013, 01:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Practical phase inverter article

I'm working on a project based on Fisher 500B iron, and wanted to go simple. I found this article a while back, and it looked like great information:

Practical Phase Inverters.

The 7247 scheme says it will drive a pair of PP 6l6 tubes to 26W. I tapped off of my PS at a 385V point because tapping at the 400V point was noisy due to the plate currents of my 6l6 tubes.

To my dismay, I got a horrible response from this scheme until I started trying various values of coupling caps. I now have .68uf coupling caps along with some feedback and get clean sines down into the 20s, but this circuit only drives about 31V rms from grid to grid with 3.5V in which is way too little to drive the 6l6 past about 10W.

Is there any way to get a bit more gain out of it, or should I just rewire the output section for 7591 tubes to take advantage of their higher gain?

Thanks!

Blair
Old 14th February 2013, 01:40 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

That's probably not optimal for 6L6, which take a reasonable amount of voltage drive. A long tail pair would be a better choice, with the cathode CCS taken to a negative rail.
When someone says that they want to "improve" on a 6SN7 because it's a 50 year old tube, take anything else they say with a grain of salt- it's a superbly linear tube, and the Williamson circuit is still among the best ever front ends (once the LF coupling problem is cleaned up). The distortion numbers quoted in the linked article are not inspiring and can easily be bettered.

For a superb and comprehensive survey of phase splitter options, see Crowhurst's "Understanding Hifi Circuits." As well, Morgan Jones does an in-depth analysis of the LTP and cathodyne in "Valve Amplifiers," but limits his discussion to those options.
Old 14th February 2013, 02:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi SY,

Right. I have used the williamson circuit in many applications and agree with you there.

I wasn't necessarily trying to get "improved", but rather a simple little amplifier that fits in a small chassis.

The 31v grid to grid I get out of this clean should be enough to drive the 7591 right?

Are there any other tubes that have that high of gain in an 8 pin bottle? The EL34 would be OK I suppose. But I do not have the heater requirements for it in my power transformer.

Thank you,

Blair
Old 14th February 2013, 02:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

7591, 8417 (which is problematic on many levels), EL34. Can't think of too many other options in octal. If you can stand some 9 pins, a quad of EL84 can get you 50 watts or more and they're super easy to drive.
Old 14th February 2013, 02:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks SY,

I will save the aspirin and just grab a quad of 7591s. Easy enough conversion

Blair
Old 14th February 2013, 03:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deicide67 View Post
Are there any other tubes that have that high of gain in an 8 pin bottle? The EL34 would be OK I suppose. But I do not have the heater requirements for it in my power transformer.
If you had the heater current, the octal-EL509 would be your choice. Thanks to the high gm, the drive requirements are minimal.

Just have a look at the curves and compare what a few volts on the grid can do:
http://www.jj-electronic.com/pdf/EL%20509%20.pdf
http://www.jj-electronic.com/pdf/6L6%20GC.pdf

One of the most underrated tubes out there.
Old 24th March 2013, 02:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I finally got around to requiring for 7591, and it sounds great with the exception of the drive voltage into the output stage.

I only get 21V before my sines start clipping at the input grids on the 7591 resulting in a max output of around 10-12W. I thought it might be the feedback, but after clipping it out, the issue is at the same driver output voltage.

Click the image to open in full size.

Any suggestions to improve the drive voltage?

The article I referenced for the schematic stated that it would drive 6L6 tubes to 21W.

On another note, this was all put together for fun, but it has become fairly distracting from my other projects. If anyone is interested in this for a reasonable price, PM me:

Thanks!
Old 24th March 2013, 02:49 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Take out the output tubes and measure the voltage where the phase splitter clips. You clipping may be (probably is) the point at which the output stage is drawing grid current, not a driver limitation.
Old 24th March 2013, 06:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Take out the output tubes and measure the voltage where the phase splitter clips. You clipping may be (probably is) the point at which the output stage is drawing grid current, not a driver limitation.
SY,

Given the compactness of that setup, installation of PowerDrive seems not feasible. Perhaps increasing the value of the 7591 grid "stoppers" to 15 KOhms or an even larger value is the best practical tweak.
Old 24th March 2013, 07:14 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Eli, that's not where I was going with that question, merely guessing that the limitation is in the output stage, not the driver.

Hide this!Advertise here!