GE 211 "flash" question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2013, 02:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default GE 211 "flash" question

I have a pair of GE 211 / VT-4-C tubes, which I picked up at a ham event years ago.

They look great, but I am a little unsure of the condition. They do not appear to have been "flashed" yet; i.e., there is no silver deposit on the inside of the glass. The little pod of barium (?) is still intact inside the tube. You can see it in the photo below. Also, there is slight discoloration on the glass above the "getter" pod; it is more noticeable on this tube (second photo) than the other.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Do these conditions generally indicate anything about the tube's useability or condition? Thanks!
Old 3rd February 2013, 04:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer View Post
Do these conditions generally indicate anything about the tube's useability or condition? Thanks!
Yes, they sure do. The second picture shows the getter has been consumed and is most likely very gassy and unusable. It's vacuum may have been compromised. The other one is difficult to say whether it's totally gone to air or just never flashed. But never having been flashed is extremely rare. You should at least have them hypot tested for gas before use. Or you could just light the filaments (10v) and see if they glow correctly. By this I mean, see if the filament color and intensity looks proper (bright and yellowish). If very gassy, or if they have air the filament will be dim or may even smoke. And with HV applied, they may show a bluish glow if gassy.

Last edited by HollowState; 3rd February 2013 at 04:30 AM.
Old 3rd February 2013, 02:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'll try 10v on the filaments and see what happens. Thank you for the quick reply!
Old 7th February 2013, 05:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I got this 211 from a hamfest for $5. The reason for the price is obvious. The glow is present with or without filament power, apply a few hundred volts to the plate and GLOW!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue211[1].jpg (90.8 KB, 247 views)
Old 8th February 2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
I got this 211 from a hamfest for $5. The reason for the price is obvious. The glow is present with or without filament power, apply a few hundred volts to the plate and GLOW!!!!!
you mean 211 with a dead filament will shine with 100-200Volts?
Old 8th February 2013, 02:47 PM   #6
wicked1 is offline wicked1  United States
diyAudio Member

If it has some gas inside.
Old 8th February 2013, 08:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Nice display tubelab!

People will pay extra for that!
Old 29th October 2013, 01:13 AM   #8
tcqanh is offline tcqanh  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer View Post
I'll try 10v on the filaments and see what happens. Thank you for the quick reply!
Hi,

How are your tubes now ? Can they work ?

Regards,

Last edited by tcqanh; 29th October 2013 at 01:26 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!