Aikido octal floating output - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2013, 09:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Aikido octal floating output

Hi guys,

I've got an aikido octal all-in-one running and noticed that my output is drifting even though measured after the DC coupling output caps (russian PIO's). Any idea's what might be the problem here?

Cheers
Old 2nd February 2013, 10:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

How did you measure it to be 'drifting'? Was the output left open or connected to another device?

If left open, does the output of the Aikido have any resistor after the output cap referencing the output to ground? The results of leaving this resistor out have been discussed here before...

Greetings,
Andreas
Old 2nd February 2013, 10:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Output was directly coupled to the oscilloscope (so not connected to a poweramp). I've got the output resistors in place as suggested by Broskie.
Old 6th February 2013, 08:42 PM   #4
jgf is offline jgf  United States
diyAudio Member

I had the same problem with mine (cathode follower only version.) Turned out the RC filter at the output is letting low enough frequencies through that perturbations of the line voltage were affecting the output. I went to a regulated supply, which cured the problem.
Old 7th February 2013, 06:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks JGF,

Unfortunately I've already got a regulated power supply for both the HV and LV part. Also the output just randomly shoots up from time to time almost like one of the caps was dicharging every few seconds...
Old 7th February 2013, 10:57 AM   #6
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Look for instability in the regulators. Or serious flicker noise in one of the valves?

Hide this!Advertise here!