Fault developed, producing static noise - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2013, 12:12 PM   #1
ksporry is offline ksporry  China
diyAudio Member

Default Fault developed, producing static noise

Hi guys,
I got an Opera Consonance Reference 5.5. Had it for a year or 2. Been great. but recently it seemed to have developed a fault and I wonder how I can find out what the fault is.
Basically i turned it on today, and it started outputting clear audible static noise. When I dial down the volume the sound gets louder. When I dial the volume up it gets softer, but it remains. I tried selecting different input channels, but no difference. I don't think its the speakers as the chance of the same fault happening at the same tim eis pretty unlikely I think, plus it would make more sense that the noise gets louder when I turn up the volume. I can't see from the tubes if one of them is on the way out. The pre-amp stage has one small tube (12AT7) that seems to be a bit bright, but no idea if this is an issue or not.
any thoughts?
Old 3rd February 2013, 05:29 AM   #2
midmoe is offline midmoe  United States
diyAudio Member

hello, any static in one channel is fairly normal, but going up in volume with the volume control going down is a bit unusual. Get a schematic and see how things are laid out. A quick check is to replace the preamp tube, at least remove the tube and see if the problem goes away as a first step. If the tube is not the problem, then someone needs to go in with a signal tracer or oscilloscope and diagnose....hopefully the symptom won't go intermittent and go away as soon as you try to fix. Alot of these problems are caused by loose solder connections. Try tapping gently with an insulated tool the tubes and wiring. I will look online for a schematic and see what it looks like. I am curious.....good luck.

Hide this!Advertise here!