Step Attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Valab 23 Step Ladder Type Attenuator Potentiometer 100K Log Stereo | eBay

Anything wrong with this Valab one? It's a ladder type (2 resistors at a time). They also have a SMD one with Vishays, but don't say if it's ladder. Anyone tried these two?

Valab 23 Step Attenuator Potentiometer 100K Stereo Log | eBay

Thought this wasn't bad for the price so sent off for the non-smd one. (top link) Arrived from Taiwan within the week to the UK for about £18.50. Matched the photos exactly. Build was good using quality parts. Soldering good. Won't get time to do a proper listening test until the weekend. Will update later.

Just received Arek Kallas' 41-step attenuator with Dale resistors (Khozmo Acoustic). It took about 4 weeks to get it after my order, but worth the wait.

Arek has done a fine job with the mechanical design. It may be over-engineered as he uses ball bearings instead of the traditional bronze bushings.

However, the brass shaft moves fluidly and each detent feels perfect - not too much and not too light. My knob size is 2" in diameter.

Installation is easy. There are PC pads (plated through holes) to solder the wires to that are marked on the PC board. The shaft collar and nut probably are metric. I tried a 3/8-32 nut, but it was slightly too loose, so I used the supplied nut. Instead of a serrated lock washer there is a wave spring washer.

The scale is supposed to be log. However, I am not sure exactly how it is scaled, but it is not linear, either. There is a bias at the lower end that makes the low volume end somewhat stretched compared to a normal pot.

This is actually a good thing as you can easily set the desired volume without too much of a jump too soon. Good for low volume listening.

The total rotation is about 345° to 350°. Fully counter-clockwise cuts the volume altogether. Each step is just noticeable in volume change, so it is easy to get exactly what you want.

All in all a positive experience for anyone that is interested to know.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.