Scott17 KT88 SE Tube Amp Build Log - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2013, 11:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Scott17 KT88 SE Tube Amp Build Log

Hey all! So I finally made a decision about what amp kit to build for my very first tube amp project! I'm building one of scott17's KT88 SE amp kits! In the build log to follow, I'll be detailing the build process.

Tonight: Reading the manual...
Soundtrack for this evening: Me'Shell Ndegeocello - Plantation Lullabies

The rest of the week may be a bit challenging in terms of making major progress with the amp. I think I'll try to get the major components installed into the chassis (tube sockets, chokes, etc...) so that I may start wiring this weekend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0350.jpg (403.2 KB, 687 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0357.jpg (705.8 KB, 639 views)
Old 29th January 2013, 03:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Looking forward to this thread.

Wow, I have not read that first page in a while. It does read as rather intimidating. I did cover all the bases though, so to speak.

You're going to have fun.

Best of success,

Scott

Last edited by scott17; 29th January 2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Alright, entry 2!

Today: Due to a crazy week at school/work, I didn't have time to install all the hardware into the chassis. Thus, today I tackled installing all the components...well MOST of the components.

Soundtrack for the build: The Absolutely Essential 3 CD Collection - Django Rheinhardt (Figure 1)

Ready, get, set... (Figure 2)

And we're off! (Figure 3)

So I installed the hardware as instructed in the EXCELLENT manual (Figure 4), and ensured that the keyholes in the 8 pin tube sockets were facing away from the switch (Figures 5-7).

Then I installed the chokes as instructed (Figure 8)... But... OH NO! One of my chokes has a frayed wire (Figure 9).

Moving past that I installed the RCA jacks (ensuring to install them in the order of the plastic washer, nut, grounding lug, and then the second nut as instructed, Figure 10).

I then installed the binding posts (Figure 11) and the volume pot (Figure 12).

So, I'm stuck at this point. Should I order a replacement choke? Or should I simply heatshrink over the fray? Would that be safe? Before I proceed, I have to figure this out... Hopefully I can start the wiring tomorrow! Unless I have to order another Hammond choke... hmmm...

(Pictures will be posted in the subsequent posts...)

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0378.jpg (677.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Please send a photo of the frayed section so I can access the situation.

Thanks,

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEdition View Post
Alright, entry 2!

Today: Due to a crazy week at school/work, I didn't have time to install all the hardware into the chassis. Thus, today I tackled installing all the components...well MOST of the components.

Soundtrack for the build: The Absolutely Essential 3 CD Collection - Django Rheinhardt (Figure 1)

Ready, get, set... (Figure 2)

And we're off! (Figure 3)

So I installed the hardware as instructed in the EXCELLENT manual (Figure 4), and ensured that the keyholes in the 8 pin tube sockets were facing away from the switch (Figures 5-7).

Then I installed the chokes as instructed (Figure 8)... But... OH NO! One of my chokes has a frayed wire (Figure 9).

Moving past that I installed the RCA jacks (ensuring to install them in the order of the plastic washer, nut, grounding lug, and then the second nut as instructed, Figure 10).

I then installed the binding posts (Figure 11) and the volume pot (Figure 12).

So, I'm stuck at this point. Should I order a replacement choke? Or should I simply heatshrink over the fray? Would that be safe? Before I proceed, I have to figure this out... Hopefully I can start the wiring tomorrow! Unless I have to order another Hammond choke... hmmm...

(Pictures will be posted in the subsequent posts...)

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:40 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Figures 1-7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0378.jpg (677.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0358.jpg (419.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0360.jpg (566.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0364.jpg (571.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0365.jpg (554.9 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0366.jpg (517.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0367.jpg (539.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:46 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Figures 8-10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0368.jpg (569.4 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0372.jpg (728.0 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0374.jpg (555.6 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0375.jpg (566.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0376.jpg (446.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:54 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEdition View Post
Figures 8-10
Just solder that back together and heat shrink it. It will be fine.
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:57 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

phew! alright, that's great news! i'll get to begin wiring tomorrow! so stoked!
Old 3rd February 2013, 01:03 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

It's all looking good by the way. Just take your time and don't rush through the process.
Old 4th February 2013, 03:13 PM   #10
Bones13 is offline Bones13  United States
Techie Wanabe
diyAudio Member

I am just about at the same build level for the same kit. I started on the signal input wires yesterday, and discovered I have misplaced my heat gun in my recent move.

Off to Home Depot for a new heat gun (just could not find my old one) and some black spray paint yesterday, and then the SuperBowl, no further work got done.

My kit has the colored chassis, and bell covers. I plan on painting the transformer sides, and the motor run caps black. Hopefully finish the input cables to the volume control tonight. Will wait a bit and see if the weather warms up before trying to spray paint a couple of nights in a row.

Keep up the great blog!

Hide this!Advertise here!