• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Suggestion: Output tube in SET amp for midbass frequency

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I like the sound quality of 45, 2A3, and 300B, basically any low-mu DHT with parallel plate construction.

You can never have too much power! You don't have to use it.

I would go with 300B or 2A3 for all sections. The important thing for the midbass is the damping factor, and 300B is best at it, with 2A3 very close. In fact, modern 2A3 and 300B is the same, just different voltage filaments.

If you need a lot of tubes, it is best to go for tubes that are still in production. Some NOS tubes are cheap today, but won't be in 10 years as inventory runs dry. You'll have to rebuild your amp for new tubes, with new and expensive output transformers. In 100 years, they will still be making 300B tubes.

Last edited:
No mention of just DHT so if you don't need that much power how about 6av5 triode connected. great bass, low anode resistence cheap (i just got another 8 for $3each), available and i'm getting better than dht distortion numbers out of them. Tubelab is the man with these imho.
enzo

If you want cheaper, there is EL34, 6550, KT88, etc. Russia has even more, but once inventory gets dry, the price will shoot up, leaving you with an amp/transformer without available tubes.

Palmas is right, the 2A3/300B tubes are cheap, the best sounding (IMHO), and will forever be made.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.