Marrantz Model 9 Transformer Buy - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2013, 03:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Marrantz Model 9 Transformer Buy

Hey All,

I'm using a basic design I received from boywonder that is here on a thread titled Marantz Model 9. I modified the design to make the primary impedance and ultralinear tap match the Model 9. I also deleted the 16 ohm output and added the dual feedback winding in the secondary. The changes I made are in line with information I received from an expert familiar with the transformer.

Caveats: First, these are not exact copies of the Model 9 output transformer. They are the closest approximation I can come up with short of breaking into the Marantz archives. Second, the transformers will not be potted. Third, if you order the transformers you do so on your own. (This is an experiment for me as well.) These transformers will work in the Marantz Model 9 circuit without having to modify the circuit. How well they will work and sound is unknown.

The transformers will be wound by Heyboer. If you are interested contact Arlyn Arundsen at Heyboer. arlyn@heyboertransformers.net The deadline for orders is February 1st. We have four ordered now and if more are ordered the price will come down a little. Right now they are $230 a PAIR plus shipping.

I recently did a group buy from Heyboer of Eico AF4 transformers through the Eico group. They are nice transformers that sound good at a really reasonable price.

Kevin
Old 27th January 2013, 03:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Oh, I hope I haven't angered the DIY gods here. I thought about placing this post in the market forum but I'm not really selling anything here, just providing the information. If this is incorrect I apologize and throw myself at your mercy.
Old 2nd February 2013, 05:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, I guess this was a waste of time. I just thought it might be helpful.
Old 2nd February 2013, 02:21 PM   #4
tomlang is offline tomlang  United States
diyAudio Member

This is very helpful and the kind of thread I like to see with both info and prices. I just saw this and now need to do some research on the Marantz 9.

thanks!
Old 2nd February 2013, 02:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2racer View Post
I'm using a basic design I received from boywonder that is here on a thread titled Marantz Model 9.
Kevin
?????? I think you are mixing up the Model 9 and Poinz' Music Machine.......
Old 2nd February 2013, 03:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

What is leakage inductance and resonant frequency of this transformer?
Old 3rd February 2013, 02:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

You're right, I'm wrong. I confused two different projects. The transformer design is one posted by Hollowstate.
Sorry for the confusion Boywonder.

LinuksGuru, I'm sorry I can't answer your question. Arlyn at Heyboer may be able to though. But wouldn't these specifications need to verified by testing the transformers? If that is the case they have to be built first? I would be willing to send the transformers to have them tested when I pot them. But that is beyond , I think, my abilities and my test equipment.

Tom, Arlyn is due to start winding the transformers tomorrow or the next day. But he quoted me $115 each plus shipping, Which I think is extremely reasonable. (Maybe even TOO reasonable?) So even if you order them later the price won't change much. And I'm sure he will still have the ability to wind them later.

As for Heyboer quality I can only tell you this. I'm trying to finish an RH84 using 6p15p. The amp is distorted because, I think, the original Motorola chassis I was using is too small, proximity? In thinking it was the transformers I temporarily wired in one of the Eico AF4 transformers I bought from Heyboer. It didn't fix the problem but vastly reduced the distortion. I can't wait to hear the Heyboers in a functioning circuit.

Last edited by mr2racer; 3rd February 2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 3rd February 2013, 02:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Tom,

Included below is an email I received from SY;

Hi Kevin; the 9 is still a nice design but could be upgraded with stuff that's been available in later years (e.g., good regulators, CCS...). You could do a LOT worse. Main issue for more modern designs (or cloning the Marantz) is the cost of custom transformers. If you reworked the Marantz to take out the phase switching input stage, used a CCS tail and balanced plate resistors on the LTP, then reconfigured the cathode followers to drive the output stage screens directly, that would be a monster good amp.

For other, more modern ideas, check out Joe Curcio and Allen Wright's cascode diff amp EL34 amps. Tin deParavicini's Luxman 3054 design is superb, a tour de force.
Old 4th February 2013, 02:51 AM   #9
SandyG is offline SandyG  United States
diyAudio Member

I just received delivery of a couple of custom transformers from Arlyn as well. Reasonable price for the first pair. I had only tried Edcor for past projects but needed a larger transformer then they could make.

I would say the only downside is they are not quite as nice looking as the Edcor's, but that's easily fixed with a bit of cleaning and paint. Overall very happy with them and will post some pics as I get the project going. I was looking at doing a Mc a while ago but the transformers were a problem. Now another project to add to the list! Post some pics when you get them.

Sandy
Old 9th March 2013, 11:06 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Here's a picture of the transformers. That's a 6L6 in the foreground. Power transformers on right, outputs on left. They are without end bells because I intend to pot them. Once I make the pots that is. Anyone know where I can buy pots?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0351.JPG (776.0 KB, 217 views)

Last edited by mr2racer; 9th March 2013 at 11:13 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!