Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2013, 08:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Exclamation rogers cadet 111 or Quad 11

Just to revive an old forum,

I purchased a cadet 111 some years ago and when I fired it up everything was fine and then put it in to (dry) storage until now. never really checked the balance control. what I've discovered is that when you turn the balance control to the left the sound is somewhat dull compared to turning the knob to the right-what a difference-its like double the sound.
So, to any rogers experts out there what could be causing this. This is only to be used for vinyl only, so I would appreciate any recommendations or opinions.
Any good places to source some right angle spade connections for the speaker terminals. The current ones (original) are a pain in the backside to connect up too.
Also thinking of upgrading to some Quad 11 mono-blocks- are they worth the extra. Again for Vinyl use only.
Any advise welcome.

Regards & thanks in advance

Garrard 401, SME 3009 S2 imp, Tannoy Gold 12
Old 27th January 2013, 12:21 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

As far as the balance control goes have you used Deoxit? I had a similar problem with a kit amp that I built and stored for a long time. The control was very crackly and muddy sounding because the internal disc that the wiper rides on had oxidized. I soaked the control and worked it between it's extremes about 50 times and then used canned air to blow it out. Works fine ever since. Just an idea. I am not entirely familiar with this amp but the coupling caps might be on the way out as well.
Old 27th January 2013, 12:37 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

thanks for the reply and advise but I think the problem lies beyond that kind of fix. No crackly sound at all when you turn the knob, just a difference in the volume twice throld may be even thrice.
Old 27th January 2013, 01:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Have you tried swapping all the right channel tubes with the left? Start simple. I just had a hard reminder of start simple with a pair of Altec 1570b amps. (See thread "red plate of doom").
Old 27th January 2013, 09:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the Info, Just tried that and there's no difference. Swapped around the 4 at the back-no change, then the 3 at the front again no change.
Just to make sure it was nothing to do with the cartridge or needle I have a an old pioneer transistor amp from a middi system that has a phone Input. Hooked that up and balance control worked fine.
Any more tips would be welcome bearing in mind I don't have a scoobie about electronics
Old 27th January 2013, 10:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I think the Quads are regarded as quite a lot higher quality. mine measure great as well as sounding good.
0.1% @ 15W and 5% @22W with 5881 and original ef86.

did i mention they're for sale, so I'm biased!

enzo

Last edited by enzoastro; 27th January 2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 27th January 2013, 10:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

what are the dimensions, any pics or are they on that auction site?
Old 27th January 2013, 10:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

12.5" x 6.5" x 5"

They are not on #bay yet as i was looking for the original manual which i have somewhere...
I can get you some photos if you'd like?

They have Audyne polypropylene power supply and coupling caps fitted and normal rca inputs & 4mm banana speaker sockets so can slide into a conventional hifi system. love them.
Old 27th January 2013, 10:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

some pics would be nice. Is the 6.5" height or width
Old 28th January 2013, 02:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hight

Some pics

cons are one of the badges is missing. 1966 vintage I'm the second owner!
Audio Photos by enzoastro | Photobucket

Hide this!Advertise here!