• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

rogers cadet 111 or Quad 11

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just to revive an old forum,

I purchased a cadet 111 some years ago and when I fired it up everything was fine and then put it in to (dry) storage until now. never really checked the balance control. what I've discovered is that when you turn the balance control to the left the sound is somewhat dull compared to turning the knob to the right-what a difference-its like double the sound.
So, to any rogers experts out there what could be causing this. This is only to be used for vinyl only, so I would appreciate any recommendations or opinions.
Any good places to source some right angle spade connections for the speaker terminals. The current ones (original) are a pain in the backside to connect up too. :confused:
Also thinking of upgrading to some Quad 11 mono-blocks- are they worth the extra. Again for Vinyl use only.
Any advise welcome.

Regards & thanks in advance

Garrard 401, SME 3009 S2 imp, Tannoy Gold 12

As far as the balance control goes have you used Deoxit? I had a similar problem with a kit amp that I built and stored for a long time. The control was very crackly and muddy sounding because the internal disc that the wiper rides on had oxidized. I soaked the control and worked it between it's extremes about 50 times and then used canned air to blow it out. Works fine ever since. Just an idea. I am not entirely familiar with this amp but the coupling caps might be on the way out as well.

Thanks for the Info, Just tried that and there's no difference. Swapped around the 4 at the back-no change, then the 3 at the front again no change.
Just to make sure it was nothing to do with the cartridge or needle I have a an old pioneer transistor amp from a middi system that has a phone Input. Hooked that up and balance control worked fine.
Any more tips would be welcome bearing in mind I don't have a scoobie about electronics

12.5" x 6.5" x 5"

They are not on #bay yet as i was looking for the original manual which i have somewhere...
I can get you some photos if you'd like?

They have Audyne polypropylene power supply and coupling caps fitted and normal rca inputs & 4mm banana speaker sockets so can slide into a conventional hifi system. love them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.