• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PSU id and help (psu designer ii)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a transformer from an old heathkit s99, I presume it is approx 200ma but I'm not sure. I've attached a schematic for the circuit it came from. It was powering 4ecl86 and 3 ecc83's and 2 ef86's.

I have no idea of what values to enter into duncans psu designer, is the RMS V = 270 x 1.414 = 381V - and then how do I calculate the source resistance?

Is there a way to calculate more info from this transformer seeing as on the full scematic

HT 1 = 320V
HT 2 = 270V
HT 3 = 250V

cheers Stuart

Attachments

• s99 PSU.jpg
    s99 PSU.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 177
  • ps s99.jpg
    ps s99.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 167
Thanks Df96, I didn't realise I could just stick a DVM on primary winding (mains side?) and then over the secondary winding (leave CT out?) to get resistances - that I could then apply to a formula to find the source resistance!

If I then setup a circuit in PSUD2, using full wave rectifier (GZ34) followed by CRCRC will I be able to identify the current throught the circuit by seeing what flows through the final 5K resistor that PSUD2 puts in by default?

Or do I change that final 'resistor to ground' to a resistance that matchs the perceived resistance of the amp I wish to build?

If I wish to build the original Baby Huey amp that gingertubes modded for UL operation, should I be changing the value of the final 5k resistor of PSUD2?

Thanks again for everyones help here, and thanks Dug for the data sheet

Thanks DF, but how do I know what value is appropriate for the final R in PSUD2

and... I just read somewhere that the primary resistance is taken across the mains, and the secondary is HALF the secondary... I'm guessing this means CT to one side of the secondary?

That may be a reasonable estimate. You can calculate quiescent current by using Ohm's Law on the cathode resistors. A typical push-pull Class A output will increase its current draw by 10-20% at full output, but that will only be on music peaks so can almost be ignored. Class B will increase more, of course.

A design should say what current it draws. The designer must know, because it is part of the design process.

Great guys thanks...

So for the circuit posted below I can assume that V across the cathode of final stage is 10.5 V and the cathode R is 390ohms...

Therefore I = 10.5 / 390 = 0.0269 or 27mA

This is the idle current which would be the same as the quiessent current seeing as this amp operates mainly in class A (is this correct?)

and.... I,m still trying to figure out how the first stage only draws around 1mA and has a constant current source to determine this...

my limited background in physics always taught me that the current was the same for the entire circuit?

Attachments

• giantkiller-gnfb.jpg
    giantkiller-gnfb.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 65
Source resistance calculated 1

Ok, thanks to all here - I'm making headway!

primary resistance = 9ohms

secondary resistance = 63ohms (CT to Sec)

Source resistance = (primary resistance / (Vpri/Vsec)2) + Secondary resistance

Vpri = 230
Vsec = 270

(Vpri/Vsec)2 = 0.726

therefore Source resistance = 75.3ohms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.